Mortice Chisel

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alan

I see the firdt one is Fischer Darex. My initial reaction is CRINGE!! The DIY sheds over here are full of Fischer Darex "tools" and , quite frankly, they're just cheap and nasty (IMHO of course :wink: ).

I've heard people complain about Crown too but I don't really have any experience of them

Tsk, we're in the home of the oval bolstered or "pig sticker" chisel here; it's one of the few things we can go "nah-nah-ne-nah-nah" to our 'Murrican friends about. :lol: Quick ring round the usual suspects, or a flutter on the 'Bay I dare say, and you can pick up as many as you desire. And there is nothing as much fun as whaling on the end of a big ol' mortise chisel with your largest mallet. I think Adam cleaned me out of my spares, or I'd be flogging you some myself. :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":1j347ylz said:
Tsk, we're in the home of the oval bolstered or "pig sticker" chisel here; it's one of the few things we can go "nah-nah-ne-nah-nah" to our 'Murrican friends about. :lol:
Cheers, Alf
Oh that's not completely true. Y'all also have...?...well, there's...and, but...There must be something else!

Oh yeah, there's also this:

record043.jpg

Mike

MikeW":12jfituj said:
There must be something else!

Oh yeah, there's also this:

record043.jpg
Yeah, but an awful lot of those are ending up in 'Murrica too, aren't they, Mike...? :wink: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Lee Valley sell Hirsch Mortice chisels which I assume are GErman and therefore available over there. I have not as yet tried one but I have to say they are the biggest, ugliest chisel I have ever seen probably work well.

I have a Sorby 3/4 inch that is frankly not that great doesn't hold an edge. I also have a 5/16, I think older Marples the kind with the red and yellow handle and it is very good and as Alf says you can get these fairly cheap on Ebay, I recently used it for doing two inch deep mortises in white oak and have no complaints.

Not yet...but sooner or later. Probably. Maybe...

Right now I'm on a mission. Makin' me my own version of a No. 8 half-back.

But more on topic, I had a piece of Lyptus that I had stashed from making some web frames for a cabinet I'm making. I remember selecting this piece of wood due to its moisture content (8%) and extreme weight/density. I decided to use it on another project.

But I had forgotten how hard this board was. I folded the edge over on every chisel I brand I have just *paring*, except my Sorby mortise chisels. Yep, ended up paring with them.

Mike

Back