Morse, Jarno Tapers Etc

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noel

Staff member
Reaction score
Forgive my usual confusion but although I'm familiar with MT and JT type tapers what is a "B" taper?
I've a few decent chucks lying about which I use on the lathe but wanted to stick one of the better ones on the drill press as the current chuck has waaay too much run-out. The specs (it's one of the older green Rexon models) show the spindle taper being a "B16" and the chuck I want to mount on it has a receiving JT3 taper. Is there such a thing as a B16 to JT3 female arbour? Rather than getting one milled, any likely sources? Or any other ideas? Worth taking the spindle taper out?

Rgds

Noel

This is what you need scroll down to MT3 arbours, the B16 is in the drop down list.

Chronos have very good mail order, usually next day.

Jason

Sorry, think I got it wrong, does your drill have a tapered B16 nose, if so I've not seen a adapter, usually just MT2 to MT1 etc.

The drill spindle will more than likely be case hardened so not easily turned to the new taper. You may be able to turn up a sleeve though if you can find out the angle of the taper.

lets hope Dewy will dig out his zeuz tables as I cant put my hand on mine.

Jason

Yes my little yellow and black Zeus has done a runner.....
I'll double check but I'm pretty sure the chuck receiver and the spindle taper is B16. I'll go and have a look at Chronos. Thanks Jason.
Mike, "well stocked machinery dealer"???? This is Ireland!!!!
Cheers anyway.

Noel

No worries Mike. Kinda stuck in between NY State and Scotland.....
Would the B in the B16 taper be a Bridgeport taper?

Rgds

Noel

No idea--I'm dumber than a fence post when it comes to such things. (Ok, there are more things than equipment tapes, but...)

Good luck. Sounds like the others are pointing you in the right direction, though.

Mike

Back