Morning everyone

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hornet99

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I left school some 4 decades ago wanting to be a cabinet maker / joiner and life took me on a completely different trajectory. Time is now right to follow my dreams and start playing with wood. I am also a beekeeper and make all my own beehives, nothing fancy just glue and butt joints thus far.

I really want to make my two grandkids a jewellery box each at some point but am buying the tools and machinery first. My latest purchase is a Myford planer which is 99% complete, only missing a knob but the planer needs a complete restoration hence how I found you guys.

I look forward to chatting and contributing where I can.

Nice to meet you all.

Ian

You need very little kit to make a box. I have made quit nice ones from logs rescued from firewood, with just a cheap rip saw, old dovetail saw, smoothing plane, a few chisels, and marking out stuff. Its a bit tiring slicing up the log and planing the bits smooth but I find it good aerobic exercise. I didn't clean up the dovetails shoulder lines of the box in the picture very well as you can see but this is the only one I took pictures of.
Good luck
Martin
1632644317781.png
1632644347288.png

Hi

I left school some 4 decades ago wanting to be a cabinet maker / joiner and life took me on a completely different trajectory. Time is now right to follow my dreams and start playing with wood. I am also a beekeeper and make all my own beehives, nothing fancy just glue and butt joints thus far.

I really want to make my two grandkids a jewellery box each at some point but am buying the tools and machinery first. My latest purchase is a Myford planer which is 99% complete, only missing a knob but the planer needs a complete restoration hence how I found you guys.

I look forward to chatting and contributing where I can.

Nice to meet you all.

Ian

Welcome.There are boxes and there are jewellery boxes. Aim for refinement at all cost with materials no thicker than 12 mm. See Andrew Crawford's books for inspiration.

Hi,
Welcome friend. I was fortunate to follow my career to become a Cabinet Maker. 5yr apprenticeship, and evening classes to get C&G qualifications gaining a Licentiateship after 7yrs!
Always buy the best tools you can afford...second hand tools are often better than new, and only use when SHARP!
My advice is to start with something simple and practice, practice, practice. You’ll get better....! Persevere!
Use hardwoods for your projects, softwoods are difficult to work with.
I wish you the best of luck, let us know how you get on.
If you’re near Tunbridge Wells contact me?

Back