More woodworm

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith Smith

Established Member
Reaction score
I went to the Ledbury auction recently and bought some very reasonable green oak, trouble is when I got it home I found it was FULL of worm :(

So my plans of leaving it to dry were thwarted.

So just to prove I don't only use MDF.

DogKennel.jpg

All green oak with hand cut shingles, just letting it dry a bit before it gets soaked in woodworm treatment.

The kennel that is not Molly :wink:

Keith

My Sheppards, don't like to be outside,

They learned to bark to come in, That is two min after I put them out :evil:

Ps nice DOG house.

I hope you don't have to spent any time there :lol: :lol: :lol:

Keith,

Just a thought - folk here have commented several times on the toxicity of woodworm treatments; it may not be the best thing for Molly's health?

KeithS":2p8oogsy said:
All green oak with hand cut shingles, just letting it dry a bit before it gets soaked in woodworm treatment.
Keith

Whats the process to cut the shingles? It's something I've never seen done, and I kindof like the idea of using shingles for various bits and bobs.

Adam

Keith,

I got some there and found the same but not too bad an infestation. I've treated the boards and now left them to dry - is that going to give me a prob later?

T

Thanks, I made her a proper kennel first with clay tile roof but she won't use it seems some border collies don't like feeling closed in, hence the shelter.

Chris I am letting it dry out for the moment then I'll treat it and keep it covered up for a few weeks before she can use it again. The danger area would be the floor but it is just a slot in softwood panel so won't get treated.

Adam I cheated a bit with the shingles and cut them on the bandsaw, proper bought shingles would be cedar and the better ones are split rather than cut. Not easy and you would need some very straight grained wood which I definitely hadn't got.

Tim I don't like treating wood then machining it and woodworm treatments are not very effective if the wood is too wet, which is why I decided to use the wood green. Didn't do the bandsaw much good though :cry:

Keith

Back