more wood ID

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nev

Established Member
Reaction score
recently found out that a friend of a friend runs a joinery, 'grab me some offcuts when you're there next ' i plead.
so this weekend he turns up with a small box full :mrgreen:
'but dont get too excited', he says, 'youve joined the bottom of the list' :(

so i recognised the oak, theres a few red sapele /mahoganyish handrail sections and what i thought was some larger ash lumps, but it doesnt smell like ash. maybe cos its thoroughly dried?? maybe cos its not??
what do you think?
ash2.JPG

ash.JPG

also there are a few blocks of 'hardwood' that weigh next to nothing, not quite balsa but not far off, any ideas what it could be? looks similar to the 'ash' but without the grain.
cheers

Attachments

• ash.JPG
    ash.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 891
  • ash2.JPG
    ash2.JPG
    136.9 KB · Views: 891
does it smell of brussels sprouts when cut, because that could be idigbo, they use that in joinery alot.

adidat

adidat":kwwoh2go said:
does it smell of brussels sprouts when cut, because that could be idigbo, they use that in joinery alot.

adidat

cant say sprouts sprung to mind. doesnt really smell strongly of anything but if anything at all has a slight 'treated' smell to it almost like creosote but only very faintly.

Looks like Agba to me a sort of pale mahoganyish wood or could be Idigbo as second choice. :?

Hi Nev.

Its me again. Looking at that lovely bowl you have made and your description of the wood I would bet a pint that is Luan or Philippine mahogany.

Geoff

Chippygeoff":39mu2zek said:
Hi Nev.

Its me again. Looking at that lovely bowl you have made and your description of the wood I would bet a pint that is Luan or Philippine mahogany.

Geoff

only half made as yet geoff, just the outside with a quick coat of cellulose sealer to see if my sanding was up to scratch :)
may finish it this afternoon if the GP is too unexciting :wink:

the raised grain near the opening on the first picture gives it away. to much going on for maple or sycamore.

idigbo 99.9999%

adidat

idigbo sounds like the daddy. :)
the bowl at the bottom of this page is very similar http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/ ... idigbo.htm

i did text my mate 'idigbo?'
he replied
'no stayed home and cut logs' :!: :?
so no joy there! but to be fair he is not the the 'practical' type and it was his fishing chum that donated the wood.

just finished shaping the bowl but the battery is flat in the camera, so i'll take a piccy tomorrow.
still havent decided what to finish it with yet, it will probably be a fruit bowl. can i leave it unfinished?
is idigbo toxical?

Back