more wood ID please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nev

Established Member
Reaction score
another piece of christmas timber. possibly a little pink for purpleheart but happy to be corrected. any clues anyone?
red pen1.jpg

Attachments

• red pen1.jpg
    red pen1.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 760
Did you make the pen??

Purpleheart is this colour when freshly machined but only takes on the traditional purple colour when exposed to light before being polished - usually taking a few days for the colour to appear.

If you finished the wood straight after turning on the lathe then the colour as in the photo is how it will stay.

Rog

Dodge":q2jvi5k7 said:
Did you make the pen??
guilty as charged :) the most expensive kit ive made so far, sort of. reduced to £4 from £11 in the rutlands giveaway. and i must say that the PSI kit is far superior to any ive made to date. I'm almost tempted to buy an even more expensive one now :shock:

Put it in the window for a day, a sure way to find out if it's purple heart!

Paul Hannaby":3gzsgr4m said:
My guess would be bubinga.
only if i comes in different colours. the piece of tmber on the right is labelled BU 1, so i'm guessing thats bubinga. the wood is quite purple (pink sawdust, soft and waxy to the touch), but i dont know if purpleheart is the only purple wood?
bubinga pluspurp1.jpg

bubinga pluspurp.jpg

cheers

Attachments

• bubinga pluspurp1.jpg
    bubinga pluspurp1.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 624
  • bubinga pluspurp.jpg
    bubinga pluspurp.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 624
Back