More stuff from my Dad's shed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John,

I am no expert but I think they are irons for a woodie groover, no doubt Alf will be along soon to give an expert view. :D

Hi Trev,

did you buy anything at Ledbury? They do have some good stuff at times, just a long way from Suffolk :evil:

These are irons for a plough (or plow over here) plane.

Here is a good example of one from Tony Murland's Antique Tools site. These are often found without a set of irons such as you have. Check to see if you have the plane. If not, you can probably find a plane for your irons. Plough plane irons had different tapers from set to set so usually a new wedge has to be made to match irons to plane.

Thanks Roger, I found the plane at the bottom of a box. I can't see a makers name and it needs some TLC.

medium.jpg

John

That's great! It looks like all the parts are there and a little cleaning is all it needs.

John,

Nice find. And the plough isn't bad either. :wink: Just out of curiosity, are all the irons by the same maker?

Cheers, Alf

Who saw lots of lovely plough planes today. And bench planes. And rebate planes. And chisels. And... rain. :(

Sorry to stray off-topic for a bit John. :oops:

Hi, Dave,

I went to the viewing on Friday afternoon, looking particularly for some decent ash. None there - most of the wood there on this occasion was really pretty poor so I didn't go back to the sale on Saturday.

I did look at the tools, though, and amongst the usual stuff there were a couple of Norris planes to drool over, some Prestons and a particularly nice old Stanley compass plane, No.113, in exceptionally good original and useable condition. I'll be interested to see what they made when the results are published on-line in the next couple of days. Unless I continue to restrain myself I could easily become one of those c*******r types! :shock: :oops:

I noticed, too, just how many old tools had been totally stripped and wire-brushed or polished to a high shine - probably ruining any real value they might have had. :roll:

Cheers,

Trev.

Alf, some of the irons are too rusry to see the makers name, I will get the wire wool out today and see how they clean up. The ones I can read all are Marples of Sheffield. The wedge to hold the irons is a replacement and one of the arms (correct name?) that holds the fence looks like a replacement too.

John

ps Dave, No problem about the change of topic, I was interested too.

sorry, that should have been directed to Trev.

Back