More price increases

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Leaving aside Type 1 Diabetes, most of the general public just do not understand how the blood sugars are regulated in the bloodstream and the role of insulin. Nor do they understand that over time with high and frequent intake (snacking throughout the day) the body becomes increasing ‘insulin resistance’ and higher levels of insulin are required to have the same control effects on blood sugar until the pancreas reaches its production limit - and that this is the path to Type 2 Diabetes. Alongside that there is a conception about sugar - white sparkly stuff and think the problem is confined to processed food - but that is not even 10% of the problem. The problem is total sugar or ’all sugars’ and we eat those to excess in the form of carbohydrates which are converted to glucose by the digestive tract. Carbohydrates are ubiquitous in the British and American diet. There is no need for anyone to become Type2 diabetic, it is a reversible disease if action taken when you are you ‘young’ - you may also escape if you have the right genes or die from another cause b the time you are 50.
You stated there is no need for anyone to become type 2 diabetic, well I am living proof you are wrong. i have just proven to be Type 2 Diabetic and this is entirely nothing to do with diet or how much sugar I have in my diet but due to my pancreas failing due to other illness. So not as simple as you paint it but yes by and large for most due to an excess of sugar that they are mostly unaware of actually being in the foods they eat. Especially in light of the inability of the majority in the UK to actually cook a nutritious meal from scratch.

I have been able to reverse a type 2 diabetes diagnosis by reducing the amount of sugar in my diet.

I was diagnosed as borderline after a blood test for an unrelated condition 3 years ago and my doctor sent me to a workshop run by the local health authority that explained the workings of the pancreas and diet regimes to mitigate the condition.

I have home urine test strips I use weekly and a test at the docs every 6 months and have been diabetes-free so far (touch wood). No more biscuits or cake for me!

As an aside - more than one kitchen (+ basic kit in a garage/home office etc) is a pointless extravagance, largely the preserve of those more interested in status and statement. It simply creates hassle - more things to breakdown or fail, more effort to refurbish and renew at regular intervals to stay up to date with latest colour supplement trends.
That rather depends on the cooking. We have 2.5 kitchens for 2 people, when you get chilli and other aromatic spices being cooked it’s as bad as mustard gas even with extraction fans so is never done in the house

You stated there is no need for anyone to become type 2 diabetic, well I am living proof you are wrong. i have just proven to be Type 2 Diabetic and this is entirely nothing to do with diet or how much sugar I have in my diet but due to my pancreas failing due to other illness. So not as simple as you paint it but yes by and large for most due to an excess of sugar that they are mostly unaware of actually being in the foods they eat. Especially in light of the inability of the majority in the UK to actually cook a nutritious meal from scratch.
It’s a grey area. If the pancreas is disabled from producing insulin by other disease then it could also be classified as type 1.

This is so true. I have Type 2 diabetes diagnosed almost a year ago and since reading up extensively on the condition and talking to other family members (I have a genetic disposition towards diabetes), I follow a very low carb (keto) diet. GPs are mixed in attitude to this but lucklily mine was supportive when I declined the tablets and my last blood test showed I effectively put the diabetes into remission. She was amazed with the result and I see there is a change in attitude in some medical quarters in this area. As @NormanB states, a lot of people who are overweight (I was, but not massively so) are actually insulin resistant and no starvation low calorie diet will work for them over the long term. I now eat a high fat / protein diet have lost 3 stone in weight and feel better than I did in my thirties (I am 53 now).

This thread has drifted around a few subjects but on kitchens, I was refitting mine and to date have spent around £30k doing it myself but that includes building work etc. It has massively improved our house and stopped my wife (who does most of the cooking) being locked away almost in isolation, it represents less than 3% of the value of the house and as a long term but slow 'house flipper' has always been the best investment towards improving a property and getting good resale value. Never quite understood peoples attitude towards having to justify everything. If you can afford it and you want it, why not have it.
Thank you for that. The NHS/PHE nutritional advice is in a mess. Dr David Unwin was awarded an NHS Gold medal for his work in this area which produced remarkable results for his patients. The monolith that is the NHS has not really grasped the significance and changed nutritional advice as a result (the influence of big food?) Daily Mail Article (I do not like quoting the Daily Mail but this is a good overview article.

One of the best You Tube channels for information and guidance on the
is subject is run by Dr Ken Berry in the USA. He has produced hundreds of useful videos, but this 12 minute video is a powerful introduction - Dr Ken Berry Keto Intro

BTW I never mentioned people being overweight. In fact it is less relevant than visceral and belly fat, although generally, but not always, leads to people being overweight too. As an example, Asians in particular have a classification known as ‘TOFI’ (Thin Outside Fat Inside) where they have high levels of visceral fat which impacts on the liver (fatty liver disease) and the pancreas (diabetes).

Is it inability though ? or just less exciting than posting selfies and opinions on Facebook.
Personally I think it’s more down to time & ease of access, interesting that during the first lock down baking products were in very short supply as more people had time to cook.
These days both parents tend to work, certainly when I was a child there were far more housewives who had the time to cook, so it’s hardly surprising that today’s parents turn to processed meals & take aways.
I’m not saying it’s right but it’s all too easy to decry the next generation I personally wouldn’t want to be growing up these days

Less time on Facebook is more time to cook.
Your choice as to which is more important, many seem to choose the Facebook/fast food option.

What an unusual topic this has turned out to be,
it's gone from mdf to shitehouses to diabetes
and still no falling out!

Not mentioned yet regarding type II diabetes is fasting: it doesn't mean nil by mouth for weeks, or living in a cave and having weird religious visions; just not grazing all day. Weirdly, people seem to have a huge fear of being hungry, but it really isn't anything to worry about.

If you eat less often (but eat the same amount), you will lower your insensitivity to insulin. The results tend to be dramatic, and very fast (excuse the pun). Most people report blood sugar levels reverting to normal within two to three weeks, apparently. Obviously it doesn't work for everyone, but it does seem to work for the vast majority of people who can manage it. There is a huge amount of info all over the internet, and this is a random example:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/fasting-reverses-diabetes
I eat once a day, with zero food in between. I do this not because of diabetes, but because I have no mechanism to tell me I have eaten enough - pain from an extended belly is a good indication, but just because it hurts doesn't mean I can't eat more. I can eat my body weight in food three or four times a day if given the chance, so I put on weight like a 6 month old baby unless I actively restrict myself. Its easier for me not to eat at all than to eat a small amount and stop. One meal a day seems to be the best way for me. It just happens to have a huge raft of health benefits to go along with not looking like a beached whale. Depsite my escetic lifestyle, I still eat between two and three thousand calories a day in one gigantic food frenzy. Life is good and nothing is forbidden, just delayed slightly.

What an unusual topic this has turned out to be,
it's gone from mdf to shitehouses to diabetes
and still no falling out!

Only needs one person to post to change it ....................................

Went into Wickes this afternoon to pick up some more wood screws.
As I walked past the 3x2 CLS 2.4M I near had a heart attack. £5.50 each
They were £3.25 not that long ago.

£27.50 for 1 length 4.8m 4x2 in my local merchants at the moment nuts :dunno: I buy 4 Big larch logs for £90 which is around a ton and 20/25 lengths of 4x2

£27.50 for 1 length 4.8m 4x2 in my local merchants at the moment nuts :dunno: I buy 4 Big larch logs for £90 which is around a ton and 20/25 lengths of 4x2
Logs to 4x2 is never a sensible translation.
any time you look at the cost of logs, which will be green, compared to sawn, dry timber there is a huge differential. The time and process adds vastly to the costs.

I paid about £15 for just two pieces of 4 x 3 par redwood a few months ago, only two one metre long pieces, it's probably gone up a lot since then.

Latest posts

Back