More price increases

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if you're someone who doesn't care that much what other people think, when you get into $100k plus kitchens, you're dealing with people who are pretty fragile, or perhaps they're so big on themselves that they think it's a positive thing and they're going to win the contest of whose kitchen looks best if we take pictures.

utter tosh.
Just because your a miser doesn't mean others have to be.

I have a nice house, I like my house, I don't want a small house, I like a big house. I have 7 toilets for 2 people, I don't care what people think of me, I walk around like a tramp, so I'm not showing off my house or me, I just like a big house. Some people like a nice kitchen.

utter tosh.

I have a nice house, I like my house, I don't want a small house, I like a big house. I have 7 toilets for 2 people, I don't care what people think of me, I walk around like a tramp, so I'm not showing off my house or me, I just like a big house. Some people like a nice kitchen.

No statement is all-inclusive, you could be the exception. But many would have drastically different houses if nobody could ever see what they live in and they couldn't share pictures of it or talk about it.

My mother's got a large house (she and my dad are of means even though they think they're not) and 5 acres of landscaped property. They spend mid 4 figures every year for arborists to faff with the trees (not ornamentals, but 100 foot tall widow makers), and add to that pretty much anything else that needs care. they would be at the low end of concern with what other people think about them, but their parents drove into them when they were young that people who made it have large houses.

You may be the exception. Most others wouldn't be. I even once in a while catch my parents getting overly proud about their property because they think other people like it more than they do (except if someone doesn't care, then they aren't bothered).

(separate - if you're someone who doesn't care that much what other people think, when you get into $100k plus kitchens, you're dealing with people who are pretty fragile, or perhaps they're so big on themselves that they think it's a positive thing and they're going to win the contest of whose kitchen looks best if we take pictures.

An example of this - an acquaintance is a partner attorney here. Her husband worked a rank and file job. She became embarrassed about it so they strategized that he would run a small business. The business operates at a loss that she has to supplement so that it can stay open, but it's OK to her because she doesn't have to cavort with other attorneys and then admit that her husband is an unskilled hourly worker. I told her she'd have been better off making it like a dirty fetish thing - liking certain types of guys and not the attorney or white collar type, but she wasn't brave enough to do that. She can now just say that her husband owns and runs a business.

Talking about me on a public forum is a bit rude D_W...!

My chaps have got sussed - the groups I run are for my personal therapy!

One chap commented how many hours community service did I have left!

Cheers James

What does a " toilet for 2 people" look like?

Most of us have no such things (they sound awkward - especially if there's no divider or noise cancellation headphones), but the good doctor's got 7 of them!

(which sounds like 14 bowls total).

His and hers, guess which is which

1626890782841.png

Well, the farmhouse I grew up in had indoor plumbing put in in the late 60's, and it still had the original thunderbox in the outdoor shed. Said thunderbox had a bench with two drop shot holes with lids - his and hers, obviously. It's always nice to have company for those moving experiences.

Underneath the bench was an open ditch that drained out through the walled garden, and across a field, so everyone could admire your work after the event. It's my theory that this is the origin of the game "Battleships". Also pooh sticks.

There's a garage guy I listen to from time to time (he's a good proxy for the lumber market, because he's making freestanding garages in a rural area where you can't just charge the moon). Materials can make a job of his unprofitable at once.

He showed a chart a few days ago (I just got the video recommended today - i wonder if google's ad algorithms are keylogging me! probably). white wood was around $400 for a thousand board feet before the run up. It went as high as $1700 (and a $2.75 2x4 for him was as high as $8.25), and is now somewhere around $400 again for futures. So, there's no drive at this point in the US for materials costs to stay high - it's just a matter of how long retailers and wholesalers and try to keep the spot and retail market high without any real support (and they're expert at doing it for a while without answering the question why).

That fellow is what folks here would call an old timer - he stores a large lead value in inventory instead of operating with short leads to "maximize capital productivity".

Must be Ken, I subscribe to his You Tube channel. Very nice guy and builds some really nice garages.
He said yesterday that plywood was on its way down as is some lumber.
Hopefully it will follow on here................................

Mark.

Must be Ken, I subscribe to his You Tube channel. Very nice guy and builds some really nice garages.
He said yesterday that plywood was on its way down as is some lumber.
Hopefully it will follow on here................................

Mark.

That's the guy. Living where I live, I think his builds would be quoted for at least double of what he charges. He's a refreshing change from most youtubers - he builds garages, knows his stuff and has a youtube channel vs. knowing his stuff about youtube's algorithm and pretending to build garages.

utter tosh.

I'd probably be the same if I could afford it, but I also like an easy life when it comes to maintenance etc so I wouldn't have too big a house/garden etc.

I'd probably be the same if I could afford it, but I also like an easy life when it comes to maintenance etc so I wouldn't have too big a house/garden etc.

I don't have the means for a 7 toilet house, but a 5 toilet house (but only the single kind) wouldn't be out of my means. I don't like assuming things for the future and want to retire early and leave enough behind for my kids to afford the toilets of their choice, too, though...

...but more importantly, not much happens in a house with 1500 SF above ground and another 800 dry and heated/cooled below that an average person can't fix (vs. getting stuck arranging to have someone else do it because the hassle is just too large). My father spends about 10 hours a week in the fall in his yard. That's icepick in the eye stuff to me (and the yard equipment is five figures of cost to deal with cleaning up after what the trees drop)

That's the guy. Living where I live, I think his builds would be quoted for at least double of what he charges. He's a refreshing change from most youtubers - he builds garages, knows his stuff and has a youtube channel vs. knowing his stuff about youtube's algorithm and pretending to build garages.

Agree completely. I must admit to being surprised at the cost of his garages, he does a first class job and correctly from what you can see from his videos but does seem cheap. That is not decrying his work because as I said it looks first class and done properly.
Also another thing that surprised me was his openness on his prices.
A refreshing change in this day and age.

Agree completely. I must admit to being surprised at the cost of his garages, he does a first class job and correctly from what you can see from his videos but does seem cheap. That is not decrying his work because as I said it looks first class and done properly.
Also another thing that surprised me was his openness on his prices.
A refreshing change in this day and age.

He's just about as low drama as you'll ever see from someone. knows his trade, does it, doesn't act like anyone owes him anything, and speaks facts.

Where he lives in the states is a rural area that's not close to urban sprawl (even though it's geographically in the northeast), and there's not a lot of income opportunity (population is in decline up there, etc). I checked the median household income there vs. median US and it's a little above half. Maine and VT both have areas like that - very relaxed, but shedding population each generation.

Despite all this interesting and valid discussion about rising material prices, all I can now think of is whether Bob takes a dump in a different toilet for each day of the week. Or maybe he's a spontaneous random risk taking sort of guy that always tries to make it to the one furthest away. These are important questions, and we need answers.

Looking in the local Tescos and Coop you cannot buy a cordial or soft drink that doesn't have either sucralose or aspartane.
Wikipedia says aspartane is one of the most tested foods, and that it and sucralose are totally safe. Yet there are plenty of people badly affected by both.
Low or no sugar just means you will have chemicals instead.
They may actually be worse for you though? My wife suffered badly with aspartane until discovering how widespread bad effects can be, and has just recently found the same with sucralose.
I'll stick to sugar even if it does cost more, just not a lot of it.
I've never tried MDF in my tea though so can't comment on that.
Try Cawston Press - Apple juice based fizzy drinks (also with ginger / elderflower/ rhubarb) just fruit juice and spring water…
Available in Waitrose / Asda bulk buy and possibly elsewhere…

Despite all this interesting and valid discussion about rising material prices, all I can now think of is whether Bob takes a dump in a different toilet for each day of the week. Or maybe he's a spontaneous random risk taking sort of guy that always tries to make it to the one furthest away. These are important questions, and we need answers.

Sploo I'm delighted you are taking an interest, strangely not a question I contemplate, however now you have made me think.
So here is the order (most used to least)

Garage/ original gym
Main bedroom ensuite
Down stairs
Guest bedroom ensuite
Main bathroom
Sons room (rarely if ever)
Garden office / gym, still a virgin toilet.

I have 7 toilets for 2 people,
Do you eat a lot of Indian and need a toilet close by?

When we moved up north and was looking for property we did look at a very large bungalow, big garden with stream and nicely laid out but the kitchen was a closset, good for making tea and sandwiches but not enough room to swing a dog and it's small size was just so silly in comparison to the rest of the property. Well turns out the person who built it was a property developer, and would travel to eat out or get a restaurant to deliver and did not want a big kitchen.

If you look back then once upon a time the toilet was down the garden, some trip in the middle of a dark winter, then they got nearer the house until they came inside, then they multiplied so one up and one down and now because an ensuite is fashionable it is ok to shiette in the bedroom, so next step must be rubber pants with extraction hose so you do not even have to get out of bed.

Back