More price increases

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Average Beer. Price. £6.57 / litre
Starbucks vente latte £4.75 / litre
unleaded petrol £1.32 / litre
Coke Cola £1 / litre (Sainsbury’)

Makes you think!
Very good point. If the tax is taken out, using your original figures, that becomes
Average Beer. Price. £4..67/ litre (80p duty plus vat)
Starbucks vente latte £3.96/ litre (VAT)
unleaded petrol £0.53/ litre (RAC figures, 60% tax take)
Coke Cola £0.83 / litre (Sainsbury’) (vat)

With coke, not sure about sugar tax, some places say none because sugar is not added or none if it is diet.

Of course pubs and cafes provide a service, somewhere to sit, heating etc. There are also other non vat taxes like rates to pay.

Coca Cola has all that marketing, advertising and packaging to pay.

Petrol is different, exploration in difficult and remote areas, like under the sea or Alaska, extraction and transport from these areas, refining etc, all with a dangerous and explosive product.

Water is less than 1p per litre, or free if you collect it off your roof.

So price is more or less in inverse proportion to importance. We have just survived with pubs and cafes shut, Impossible without water and currently virtually impossible without fossil fuels.

A bit like paying top footballers and actors a fortune and little to essential workers, nurses, shop assistants, sewage maintenance etc. As a shop assistant said during lock down “ I did not know I was an essential worker”.

I spoke to a sheet material supplier yesterday.

he said Medite are increasing their MDF prices by 40% in August.

and he quoted my £78+vat for 18mm birch ply ( up from £49+vat a few months back.

on the timbercut website uk. american cherry is the same price as black walnut. how do you account for that. some people might suggest it is a case of "catch as catch can"
I just checked the timbercut4u uk website and american cherry is about half the price of american black walnut

I spoke to a mate of mine yesterday who has a CNC business, and he told me his supplier of Medite had told him that exact percentage as well....!!

I had wondered if it was BS, but as you’ve heard the same figure its sounding more like the truth.

Looking in the local Tescos and Coop you cannot buy a cordial or soft drink that doesn't have either sucralose or aspartane.
Wikipedia says aspartane is one of the most tested foods, and that it and sucralose are totally safe. Yet there are plenty of people badly affected by both.
Low or no sugar just means you will have chemicals instead.
They may actually be worse for you though? My wife suffered badly with aspartane until discovering how widespread bad effects can be, and has just recently found the same with sucralose.
I'll stick to sugar even if it does cost more, just not a lot of it.
I've never tried MDF in my tea though so can't comment on that.

I had wondered if it was BS, but as you’ve heard the same figure its sounding more like the truth.

Told last month by the two yards I use that all sheet products (OSB, ply, MDF etc) up by 40% In July. Imagine solid wood will follow suit.

lumber.JPG

/\ It can't catch a bid at the moment.

I know different market, and sheet materials have other issues etc. But still.

The houses prices here have increased so much that not only have our savings efforts this last year been pointless, we are actually worse off than we were 18 months ago.

I spoke to a sheet material supplier yesterday.

he said Medite are increasing their MDF prices by 40% in August.

and he quoted my £78+vat for 18mm birch ply ( up from £49+vat a few months back.

Thanks for the heads up, time to stock up next week I think!

Get your Coke in Aldi, currently 42p for 2 litres, tastes better than Sainsbury and as good as the real thing. Lidl's coke is not so good at all. All Aldi own brand is very good, often better than the brand - Which? tested. SAves us around 30 quid a week!

Further from what I said earlier about shipping costs from China, that also means that the cost of buying a shipping ontainer has almost doubled too.

Hopefully that's temporary, unless you're talking about buying the ones that are no longer fit for seagoing service.

There are lots of folks here in the states using old containers as storage, and they got spoiled being able to buy the ones that were worn out. When the port slowdown occurred due to covid (ships backing up, filled with tied up containers), the ability to get excess containers went away all at once. There should be a bounce back when everything loosens up again.

Told last month by the two yards I use that all sheet products (OSB, ply, MDF etc) up by 40% In July. Imagine solid wood will follow suit.
Hi Noel, I hope you and yours are well over there fella.
One of my customers in Norn Iron will now only guarantee quotes on materials for 7 days....
I wouldn't like to be a builder costing/quoting up a job that's for sure.
Shipping prices are still crazy - $18,000 for a 40ft last week - 20ft no longer viable for some companies either as what used to cost 50% of a 40ft in a 20 footer is now closer to 80%
When the cost of shipping exceed the cost of stock inside it's game over - people will only pay so much - companies know this & I know people have cancelled.
Stay well mate.
Nick

Hi Noel, I hope you and yours are well over there fella.
One of my customers in Norn Iron will now only guarantee quotes on materials for 7 days....
I wouldn't like to be a builder costing/quoting up a job that's for sure.
Shipping prices are still crazy - $18,000 for a 40ft last week - 20ft no longer viable for some companies either as what used to cost 50% of a 40ft in a 20 footer is now closer to 80%
When the cost of shipping exceed the cost of stock inside it's game over - people will only pay so much - companies know this & I know people have cancelled.
Stay well mate.
Nick

Yep, all good Nick.
All a bit mad ATM. What used to cost me £2,200 to ship to NZ is now nearer 4 grand and that's on deck, no box. No real reason other than profiteering: boxes have tripled/quadrupled (or more) so folk will expect all prices to have increased.......
Feel sorry for the consolidated customers, £5k of goods stuffed in the back of a box that used to cost 7/800 in now nearly half the cost of the load. Add that to the increased customs/stevedore/dockside charges it's hardly worth it, as you say.

You set up for the UK/NI make mark replacing CE?

You set up for the UK/NI make mark replacing CE?

Glad all is good Noel - we all fully agree with your view of a big element of 'profiteering' from the shipping companies who are almost a cartel.

Yeah, to be honest they are not making it easy with UKNI certification, I will chat with directors tomorrow to double check, but they are normally pretty spot on the ball with issues like this. Thanks for heads up anyway.

Cheers & enjoy the sun,
Nick

Get your Coke in Aldi, currently 42p for 2 litres, tastes better than Sainsbury and as good as the real thing. Lidl's coke is not so good at all. All Aldi own brand is very good, often better than the brand - Which? tested. SAves us around 30 quid a week!
That's a lot of Coke :unsure:

I've just ordered £5000 of MDF, mental.
I think lots are stocking up, causing shortages.

my ol dad said when prices get to high stop buying......
if we all stopped buying ply etc for 6 months the prices would come down.....??
slightlydif.....
our last summer in France we noted that small toms were almost €12 per kilo and not even vine grown ones....
Most didn't buy and they got binned.....
luckily for us home grown toms are avail from April....now we actually bin toms as wqe have to many and can't give em away as EVERYBODY has too many....what a mad world.....

Last time I checked here, 1/2 ply no better than shuttering was over €65 per sheet + Tax....

Latest posts

Back