More price increases

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suspect part of it is they think their fat children make them look normal - it's a genetic thing, it runs in the family - it's a glandular disorder etc. As an acquaintance, a PT instructor used to say - no one over came out of Belsen fat because of a glandular disorder.

"Glands" is what my tubby poorer friends would say when I was young 35 years ago. The difference between them and my wealthy friend's candy confiscating mother is when I went to their house, we'd ride atvs and play Nintendo and eat bags of cookies. It was an issue of habit there. Back then, eating mostly processed food was uncommon, but that's what they did in the house. All of the kids were fat. The mother was thin, I didn't see her eating much.

most fat people are lazy, I know that's not very PC but it's true in most cases, I don't even buy stock I make my own from scratch, so much better than the rubbish you can buy in cubes.

I'm tubby, but also lazy. I do love stock prep, though..by hand.

I think it mainly comes down to taste, knowledge and hidden calories....

Many people are attracted to processed food because they know what it tastes like. Despite the massive calories it contains.

Then there is the issue knowing how to cook many people don't know how to cook anymore and so Greg's for lunch ready meals for tea are the norm..

Finally there is the issue of excess sugar. We looked at cereals a while back and the number of cereals with 20% sugar is crazy. Same goes for bread most pre packed bread has high sugar content.

Cheers James

ha well I meant stock for cooking ;) you aren't lazy at all from what I've seen.

Just tubby, then! There's merit to the notion you're bringing up, though. Even though society is more sedentary in general, if we all had to prep the food we're making, we'd eat less of it. I think most of the problem is convenience and where it crosses discipline.

Fat people put themselves at risk because they are more difficult to manage when needing medical help, they fall and you would think they bounce but they break hips and bones. Then medics may have to get them out the house into the meat wagon so hard work often requiring two medic teams and then if they have a heart attack it cannot be easy to give CPR, and as for the defib do they have a fat or obese mode as there is a lot more fat to get a current to flow through.

Finally there is the issue of excess sugar. We looked at cereals a while back and the number of cereals with 20% sugar is crazy. Same goes for bread most pre packed bread has high sugar content.

If you look at the cereal aisle in a supermarket it is easy to see that it is deliberately targeting kids with these high sugar products, children are now just another commodity that marketing targets to get money out of the parents with no interest in their health or wellbeing. All these problems if taken down to basics will show it is greed and money that cause them, making money is now more important than most things as was demonstrated by old bumbling Borris when he let the virus flood the country because he acted to late because he wanted to protect the economy at all cost.

I think it mainly comes down to taste, knowledge and hidden calories....
Cheers James

Being diabetic, I have looked at the sugar content of foods for a long time. The worst I find are things like as you say bread - one reason why I bake my own - and things you wouldn't think to contain sugar, like Heinz tomato soup which contains 19.4 g per can. Even supposed healthy cereals like All Bran contain quite a lot of sugar.
A friend, a GP, said years ago that the medical profession was barking up the wrong tree blaming fats for everything when it should have been blaming excess refined sugar.

Everything processed contains some kind of flavor enhancer (be it salt, MSG, etc - or some kind of hidden name like an extract or something that's just salt or concentrated flavoring) and often sugar.

The sugar thing is maddening, but I'm sure it improves the taste a little. I think sugary tomato soup is gross, but I'll bet it's easier to get it through kids and old people.

Whole wheat breads, etc, will almost always contain sugar to get past the bitterness (which, as you know, doesn't really bother you that much if the bread has a fresh *texture*). Take the texture away, and then something has to be done to cover up the fact that the base food doesn't stand on its own well.

heavy salad dressing comes to mind, too (I don't like any of it). If the vegetables and whatever else is in the salad is fresh, it will have flavor on its own. If it's a wilty pile of rubbish with unripe tomatoes, etc, then I guess people will cover it up. I'll skip the whole thing instead.

(have to admit that I love the enhancement that a small amount of MSG makes in chinese food and sausage, though. And hate sugar in foods that should be not sweet. Ketchup is just about the foulest invention ever - take something that's lovely - tomatoes - and cover it up with vinegar, garlic and sugar. Just foul.).

Very rarely buy anything preprocessed, A decent breakfast usually skip lunch and a home-cooked evening meal, all the bones go in a bag in the freezer and then make my own stock so then all the food made with the stock back into it tastes wonderful - pimps.
When the stock has cooled in the fridge you can almost turn it upside down it’s that gelatinous, I started to make it for my Osteo arthritis finger joint pain and it seems to work. I’m 67 but people think I’m late 50s, fit and active without any extra exercise it’s all down to what you stuff in your mouth. Ian

D_W
most people can't cook let alone prepare food.....
then add growing ur own.....
I'm lucky my wife and I both cook and have a small but well stocked veggy patch.....
I dont eat the norm apples and oranges but love red skinned fruits....
so for breky some honey sweetened musili and at least 2 peaches, plums or necterines.....this is every day...
when in season we scoff cherries etc by the kilo.....
Still a very active 72 year old.....
plus lucky enough to have a proper baker in the next village....the bread is so good I never have butter...u just taste the bread....
plus the home cooked Souvolaki, mmmmmm as the odd treat.....it's a good life.....

mind nothing harder than having to prep and cook food after a hard days work.....
but thats what organisation and a slow-cooker is for......a batchelors best friend...hahaha.....
most just take the easy way out.....

It doesn’t help that there are 5 times the amount of fast food outlets in poor areas than in wealthy, I guess some will say they are filling a demand but it certainly isn’t helping the situation.
I was visiting a friend once, in his area,which is not one I would normally frequent.
I popped down to the shops to buy him some supplies and went into a corner grocer.

It immediately struck me, Where were all the food stuffs ?. The shop wasn't tiny, it had 3 rows of shelving and fridges along the sides. All the shelves were filled with biscuits, crisps and sweets, the fridges had milk,bread, but the vast majority of the products were canned and bottled soft drinks.

I was pretty shocked.
Sure there were other food shops, but this was a mainstay type establishment, and I would have at least expected tinned goods. I even remarked in a rhetorical way to the shopkeeper the lack of staple foods.
and take them to an abattoir at least they will have the facts.
You have to be 18 to enter an abattoir, or 16 if you are on a trade apprenticeship. We certainly can't be introducing children to that type of thing. :eek:

We almost always prepare food from base ingredients - the reasons:
  • I prefer to know what I am eating and largely minimise sugar and fats
  • generally cheaper than premium quality processed food - although per calorie costs a lot more than most "value" brands
  • I enjoy cooking
The highly mechanised and automated methods used to produce cheap processed food frankly horrify me. "Real" ingredients are often imperfect but selected for their taste - processed food seeks to balance product consistency, appearance and low cost whilst maximising sales revenue.

Being diabetic, I have looked at the sugar content of foods for a long time. The worst I find are things like as you say bread - one reason why I bake my own - and things you wouldn't think to contain sugar, like Heinz tomato soup which contains 19.4 g per can. Even supposed healthy cereals like All Bran contain quite a lot of sugar.
A friend, a GP, said years ago that the medical profession was barking up the wrong tree blaming fats for everything when it should have been blaming excess refined sugar.
Leaving aside Type 1 Diabetes, most of the general public just do not understand how the blood sugars are regulated in the bloodstream and the role of insulin. Nor do they understand that over time with high and frequent intake (snacking throughout the day) the body becomes increasing ‘insulin resistant’ and higher levels of insulin are required to have the same control effects on blood sugar until the pancreas reaches its production limit - and that this is the path to Type 2 Diabetes. Alongside that there is a conception about sugar - white sparkly stuff and think the problem is confined to processed food - but that is not even 10% of the problem. The problem is total sugar or ’all sugars’ and we eat those to excess in the form of carbohydrates which are converted to glucose by the digestive tract. Carbohydrates are ubiquitous in the British and American diet. There is no need for anyone to become Type2 diabetic, it is a reversible disease if action taken when you are you ‘young’ - you may also escape if you have the right genes or die from another cause by the time you are 50.

Last edited:
The difference between us and my grandparents (and many grandparents) is that my grandparents generally at carbs. They had dessert with meals at least once a day. But they were outside doing work and at some point, exhausted the readily available fuel on a regular basis. They definitely at less meat and on a given day, probably had 2-3 servings of vegetables (usually way overcooked unless they were in season).

What does a " toilet for 2 people" look like?
Screenshot 2021-07-24 at 16.30.50.png

Leaving aside Type 1 Diabetes, most of the general public just do not understand how the blood sugars are regulated in the bloodstream and the role of insulin. Nor do they understand that over time with high and frequent intake (snacking throughout the day) the body becomes increasing ‘insulin resistance’ and higher levels of insulin are required to have the same control effects on blood sugar until the pancreas reaches its production limit - and that this is the path to Type 2 Diabetes. Alongside that there is a conception about sugar - white sparkly stuff and think the problem is confined to processed food - but that is not even 10% of the problem. The problem is total sugar or ’all sugars’ and we eat those to excess in the form of carbohydrates which are converted to glucose by the digestive tract. Carbohydrates are ubiquitous in the British and American diet. There is no need for anyone to become Type2 diabetic, it is a reversible disease if action taken when you are you ‘young’ - you may also escape if you have the right genes or die from another cause b the time you are 50.
This is so true. I have Type 2 diabetes diagnosed almost a year ago and since reading up extensively on the condition and talking to other family members (I have a genetic disposition towards diabetes), I follow a very low carb (keto) diet. GPs are mixed in attitude to this but lucklily mine was supportive when I declined the tablets and my last blood test showed I effectively put the diabetes into remission. She was amazed with the result and I see there is a change in attitude in some medical quarters in this area. As @NormanB states, a lot of people who are overweight (I was, but not massively so) are actually insulin resistant and no starvation low calorie diet will work for them over the long term. I now eat a high fat / protein diet have lost 3 stone in weight and feel better than I did in my thirties (I am 53 now).

This thread has drifted around a few subjects but on kitchens, I was refitting mine and to date have spent around £30k doing it myself but that includes building work etc. It has massively improved our house and stopped my wife (who does most of the cooking) being locked away almost in isolation, it represents less than 3% of the value of the house and as a long term but slow 'house flipper' has always been the best investment towards improving a property and getting good resale value. Never quite understood peoples attitude towards having to justify everything. If you can afford it and you want it, why not have it.

Back