More price increases

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That rather depends on the cooking. We have 2.5 kitchens for 2 people, when you get chilli and other aromatic spices being cooked it’s as bad as mustard gas even with extraction fans so is never done in the house

I can vouch for that living on a shared house with largely indian and asian residents, and don't get me started on walking into the kichen one day to find out what the stench was and saw one of our muslims dropping a cleaver into a boiled goats head, I was very nearly sick.

Separate kitchen sounds like a necessity, not a luxury.

Logs to 4x2 is never a sensible translation.
any time you look at the cost of logs, which will be green, compared to sawn, dry timber there is a huge differential. The time and process adds vastly to the costs.
I milled up 120 4x2 lengths 12 days ago and after the hot weather over the last 10 days they are now at 10% moisture perfect for internal or external joinery. All douglas fir and larch

I milled up 120 4x2 lengths 12 days ago and after the hot weather over the last 10 days they are now at 10% moisture perfect for internal or external joinery. All douglas fir and larch
And that proves exactly what? Apart from your having material you have taken from log to sawn wood.

There are vanishing few people who have the land, raw materials, machines, time or usage to do that.

That you do/can means you have chosen that course, it has little to no bearing on the costs involved from log to sawn dry product,

I was genuinely thinking about stealing a public bench the other day lol had to stop myself.

Made a large wardrobe last week which included CLS for the stud work & 5ths redwood 4x1 1/2 PAR for the door frames, the cls was more expensive than the PAR, crazy o_O

I need some "as knot free as possible" softwood for making large but simple Shoji panels for a wardrobe. Cabinet grade "fir", Austrian, is over £1000 m(3) here in Italy.

Government published the construction cost invoices today

Screenshot 2021-08-05 at 12.49.13.png

Screenshot 2021-08-05 at 12.51.49.png

12 months from the depths of lockdown to now is hardly a meaningful trend.

June 2020 activity was largely stalled. Businesses were no doubt carrying high stocks of all goods and wanted to offload them. Prices would have been discounted.

Fast forward a year. Much of the first world getting vaccinated and emerging from constraints. Production of materials over the preceding 6-12 months reduced due to covid restrictions so stocks are at a low level. No surprise that prices have risen hugely.

https://www.constructionnews.co.uk/...aterials-that-have-risen-in-price-04-03-2021/
Prices from 2016 to 2019 rose by ~5% pa - not wholly surprising as the value of ££ fell sharply following the Brexit referendum. From May 2019 to Sept 2020 prices remained fairly stable.

The real outcome will not be evident for another 6 months as things return closer to normality.

Back