More plane stuff

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickWelford

So many tools, so little to show
Reaction score
Guys,
Since attending Richard's open day and chatting to Bill Carter and Oli, Jimi and other accomplished plane makers, I've fallen head over heels for planes, realising that there's more to them than my cheapo copy of a copy of a Stanley.
There's no way I can afford the Cliftons etc of the world, and the shop made ones look so good, that I'm leaning towards making one... Two, Oh, alright, probably loads.
Is there a definitive book about planes, the terms, the skill of tapping around them to set the depth of cut etc.? I'm lost when it comes to that side of things.
Wonder if Bill needs an apprentice (who's not all that much younger than him)?

A book isn't really necessary, unless you intend to make the metal versions. Wooden Planes are pretty simple affairs. I made my first Plane some 15 years ago and just 'dived in'.
It wasn't the last word on either aesthetics or comfort. . . . . but it worked and cut wood in the manner that all wooden planes cut wood.
30 odd Planes later and I thought I had everything running smoothly (cough). I built laminated, traditional and horn handled continentals. . . until I recently discovered the transitional (what took me so long?). An eye opener and well within the home woodworker. Within the next few weeks I intend to make a smoothing version of the transitional. Hopefully I will document the whole process.
You could try following my old website Plane here:

http://www.webring.org/l/rd?ring=woodwo ... ace.com%2F

Personally I would build a transitional, even if you intend to make metal Planes.

If you mean books about making rather than using planes, the Finck and Whelan books are good. There is also "Making and Modifying Woodworking Tools" by Jim Kingshott. And Robert Wearing also had some interesting ideas in "The Resourceful Woodworker."

But while you were at Richard A's place, did you get to talk to Richard Maguire, and try out his "one hour to make" quick and easy coffin smoother? If not, have a look at his video here https://youtu.be/OW4BWfC3cIA, subscribe to his channel and follow his blog! I had a go with the plane he shows there and it really did work.

(One of the frustrating aspects of the day at Richard's place was that there were so many interesting people to talk to that it was not possible to talk to everyone!)

And of course, there are some really good builds documented on here - see Mr P's sticky list https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/ukw-best-home-made-tools-t89284.html

Hi Andy. I did watch Richard Maguire demonstrate his plane, and it worked way better than it looked! Didn't get a chance to chat though. Being a relative newby, I wasn't sure exactly who was who..... I might make a woody, but the lure and beauty of the dovetailed brass and steel is calling to me. I realise that the first few might not look so good, but got to start somewhere.
What I need up front is to learn all the terms, which bits are called what, the mystical art of tapping on various bits to set lengths etc,
Marcos has posted me some files to peruse which I am looking forward to, then maybe I can at least understand what the experts are talking about and not look stupid when I open my mouth.... Perhaps someone should host a planemaking day. I would but my workshop has about one square yard of space.... I kid you not.

It's not about making them, but a nice book to give you a general introduction to the huge variety of planes, with lots of arty colour photos, is The Handplane Book by Garrett Hack.

Nick, do you want to make planes as a subsidiary hobby or because you think you can't afford a decent plane ?

If its the latter you are going about it in the wrong way. A decently fettled plane costing less than £20 will be pretty close to a Clifton.

Lurker, it's probably more as a subsidiary hobby, something else to make, which is of beauty, and useful. I have 5 planes, and I can make thin shavings. Talking to Bill Carter and Oli awakened the making bug in me!! None of mine are pretty. The dovetailed brass and steel really look so good.

That's why I make planes, they look nice!

I would go for it, start with something simple and work your way up.

Pete

Hello Nick
If you intend to build a wooden plane have a look at David Weavers youtube page
( David W )
He has made a step by step build series of a Mathiesen jack plane .
I cant seem to find a particular video of his that shows how tight he sets the cap iron for smoothing.
I havn't seen shavings been produced like that before in a wood with more curl than curly maple
It seems the double iron planes would prove a lot more versitile of a plane design
compared to a high angle smoother
Good luck
tom

NickWelford":3ukfeisa said:
I'm leaning towards making one... Two, Oh, alright, probably loads.

You don't think you're being just a bit too ambitious? You might be better starting with a wooden laminated plane and, if that works out, then thinking about a metal plane.

I was chatting to a timber merchant who has a side line selling luthier materials, mainly wood for guitars. He reckons not one purchaser in a hundred makes it all the way to a fully finished, playable guitar. Even if he's only half right the evidence seems to be that initial enthusiasm, no matter how intense, isn't enough to see a project through to completion.

Agree. At least with a wooden Plane it can be up and running in a matter of a few days, even the same day or the next day if you happen to be a fluent worker.
Better still start the two types at the same time. If you falter on the metal version at least you should end up with a completed wooden Plane. The metal dovetailed Planes are MUCH more work.
There's something about those Bill Carter planes that just say: old fashioned craftsman, highly skilled. Maybe it's those wonky, non industrial stamps, the ones that make folk feel very uneasy. :roll:

PS. Don't forget to make a transitional, you won't regret it. :wink:

I have two planks of American walnut just waiting for the right job that someone has drawn the outline of a guitar on and then given up and sold on ebay.

Go for it, just keep it small and spend as little as possible for your first attempt.

From what I've read it can be very rewarding but also extremely boring work. You can spend hours/days hacksawing/filing the dovetails and then pipper up the peening so a test piece might be an idea.

Lots of info on here, Bill Carters site, hand plane central etc.....

I have, it's one of the things that started me thinking. I think I will make a woody smoother first, just for the hell of it. To make a brass/steel plane, I'll have to invest in materials. All I need to buy for a woody is an iron, which is re-usable.

Back