More new dolls house miniatures

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jensmith

Established Member
Reaction score
I made a couple more pieces of dolls house modern furniture last week to add to the range on my website.

The first is a really unique piece for the miniature world which is a simple cube that has 5 slabs, 3 of which rotate 360 degrees around a single pivot allowing for many combinations of layout. Coffee table is 2" square by 1.5" high.
It's made from a jelutong core, lipped in walnut with ash veneer top and bottom.

Modern Rotating Table - Cube by jsminiatures, on Flickr

Modern Rotating Table - Extended by jsminiatures, on Flickr

The second is a zigzag bookcase made from cherry with red acrylic rod detailing. The rods glow in daylight so it's a bit different to the norm.
It's 5.25" high by 5" wide by 1" deep and the shelves are 30mm apart - suitable for dolls house books.

Modern Bookcase with Books by jsminiatures, on Flickr

jen,

what do you use for holding such small work when making it- normal sized vices or do you have something else?

Mark

My first secret santa present was a special shooting board designed specifically for my miniature work based on I think a FWW design and a handmade plane that can do both 45 & 90 angles and I've been using that a lot for planing edges and sanding. Keeps everything nice and square. Other than that it just comes straight off the bandsaw with a fine blade and is planed or sanded.

I also use a small mitre box and very fine toothed Zona saw for some pieces.

Other than that I don't need to do a lot else. I use a box making tip for sanding flat faces which is a piece of MDF or chipboard with a bit of sandpaper stuck down and you sand on that.

It's so easy to mess up edges and take off too much with such small scale work and little mistakes are very obvious, especially when you take a photo of it! I have to be very careful.

Thanks. I will ty the sanding tip.

How many are you making at a time- I think that the scale would drive me crazy- I have been making a few small things, not as intricate as this, and I certainly dont miss not doing so.

These just 1 at a time. They're going to be limited edition pieces so they have a bit of exclusivity about them.
With most of my items I make in batches so it's quicker but these are different and will be signed.

It's certainly easy to mess them up if you're not careful.

V nice work, Jen. Don't think I could work at that scale, I find boxes bad enough - the smaller something is, the more closely people tend to look at it. Good to see someone doing really excellent work on such a small scalw.

Jim

Thanks guys. I'm definitely getting better at the precision at such a small scale. Some people make 1/24th scale furniture which is half the size of mine. That really is small. Laser cutting is being used more and more for the smaller scales though like 1/24th, 1/48th and smaller.

Jim, you're right about how people look closer the smaller it is. A photograph really shows up any mistakes too!

As something of an aeromodeller (which means mainly balsa & ply, etc) I can really appreciate your sort of work Jen. Lovely stuff (and with "real" wood too ;-)

Krgds
AES

Where do you get those giant ten pen pieces?
Seriously nice pieces, it is nice to see someone making minature furniture that is not just a copy of normal size antiques!

Back