more MDF boxes (Now fitted)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mailee

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just finished these Wardrobes ready to fit at the weekend. Pretty basic after the last lot but it's all work. :D
DSCN2890.jpg

DSCN2891.jpg

Yes DW, all single handed. I will be fitting them single handed too as my assistant isn't available. I have a home made jig for marking out the hinges Stew. I then cut the holes on the pillar drill before assembling the doors.

Thanks for that. Have you used the very high gloss lacquer as I wondered about colour then a clear gloss as easier to use. Thanks again.

I have used the high gloss lacquer before Two thumbs and it does give a very high gloss, I don't normally use a clear over base type of finish though as I don't see the need for it. I do use the clear on wood finishes if I want a good hard wearing surface or a high gloss wood finish.
Ah, now then Froggy, I didn't, it is actually coving. I haven't got any cutter large enough to make that profile and decided the best way was to use some coving and spray it to match the wardrobes. Anyway I got the wardrobes fitted today. Here are the photos of them in place.
DSCN2892.jpg

DSCN2893.jpg

DSCN2894.jpg

Customer was very happy with them and has ordered another single one, a bathroom vanity and a small oak table. :D

Nice job - looks so much more finished with five hinges on the door ;) That horizontal trim at the side of the carcass - is that purely decorative, or does it hide the shelf fixings?

Do you make the carcasses up complete in the workshop and manhandle them into position yourself (wouldn't want to meet you in a dark alley if you do!) or flat-pack them and assemble onsite? And what's the construction? Biscuits? Domnios? Carcass screws? Pocket holes? Just curious. I usually dry-assemble, flat-pack then build onsite with dominos and carcass screws - works for me, working alone and all.

Cheers, Pete.

The horizontal trim piece is to cover the joint between the top box and the robe Pete. I built the top boxes as separate units in the shop to save time on site. I like you build them as flat pack and then assemble on site. I use biscuits, carcass screws and glue to assemble them. I am only slightly built so can only manhandle the smallest built up units. It's surprising how you can improvise when working on your own. :wink:

mailee":3ievzzlj said:
The horizontal trim piece is to cover the joint between the top box and the robe Pete. I built the top boxes as separate units in the shop to save time on site.
Ah yes, I see that now. Sorry, it looked like a chunky shelf at first glance.

mailee":3ievzzlj said:
It's surprising how you can improvise when working on your own. :wink:
Very true. I'm impressed that you can paint in the 'shop then deliver & fit without manking up the finish - I usually supply 'primed and ready to paint' as most built-ins I do are part of a general refurb, and other decorators often contracted in.

On the odd occasion that I supply painted units it usually takes me as long to wrap everything up for transit as it does to install.

Thanks for the info - very useful to see how other guys handle similar work.

Cheers, Pete

Back