More identification help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lindas

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been doing more sorting today at dad's workshops and wonder if anyone can help with identification of these things.

Please do say if this is tiresome or inappropriate

Attachments

• 1563221535583image.jpg
    1563221535583image.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 594
  • 1563221478438image.jpg
    1563221478438image.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 594
  • 1563221441832image.jpg
    1563221441832image.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 594
  • 1563221393680image.jpg
    1563221393680image.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 594
Axe doesn't look very exciting, missing the wooden handle. Then again it might be some sort of rare collectable with the right maker it could be worth hundreds but I doubt it.

Middle, no idea

Bottom looks like a tail vice screw

https://www.axminster.co.uk/veritas-tai ... rew-475227

Blimey a brand new Veritas one only costs £30, weird can't find any old ones sold on ebay. Do they have another name this side of the pond ?

The odd shaped red item look like the part for holding up sections of a double/triple ladder often operated by ropes.
At this point I'm not sure the two parts with rollers belong with it?
Cheers Andy

I think the rollers go at the top of the ladder to hold the sections together.

Top cheap axe

Middle triple wooden ladder bits, not much use without the ladders

Bottom vice screws these would be useful for making a leg vise.

Pete

toolsntat":1yyhe3zf said:
At this point I'm not sure the two parts with rollers belong with it?
''
They look like the side straps to hold the ladder sections together.
strap.jpg

Pete beat me to it.

Attachments

• strap.jpg
    strap.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 537
Well many thanks very kind people. It’s all a step forward. At least can let things go to scrap without fear and advertise the others with knowledge!!! Thank you very much

What Pete said.

Modern aluminium version of the '10 step' window cleaners ladder that works on the same simple principle.
XjUigAq.jpg

We used to use wooden ones you could take apart to make 'half a stick' HSE banned that.
RDt6zld.jpg

They also said it was unsafe to use Arfur Stick upside down when you were cleaning stairwells at odd angles above big drops balancing on the point lol. I'm not kidding you. These were all legit techniques when I started out. :D A two part is a bigger ladder. A three part was a genuinely interesting experience. Because you couldn't extend the ladder on the ground then lift it against a wall (it was just tooo heavy) you had to climb the ladder and bounce it off the wall extending it a few rungs at a time, then climb down and do the next section. When you finished you could be three or four floors up. Down the ladder to get your tools, up again , down again walk this thing down the street to the next window and all the way to the end og the building. Then drop it a floor and walk it back. Repeat ad infinitum. It was proper graft. And on a windy day you took your chances moving it. And you could be on Regent Street or outside a tube station in the City and people would be flowing around you like water swirling round the legs of a pier. No signs, no caution boards. You assumed were not retarded in those days didn't you. Also no one was walking on their mobile phone.
Can't understand why they banned ladders really. :D Perfectly safe. 8)

dNR4g9Y.jpg

Since we're on the topic of ladders, I have an irrational phobia of ladders, not heights. Ever since I was a kid I've always been very shaky on a ladder and I used to be so bad I couldn't go higher than 3 rungs on a step ladder without chickening out and coming back down :lol: I'm a lot better now than I used to be mainly down to my job and being around ladders often enough, plus the old boss telling me "You get up that f'in ladder right now or I will throw you up there" on more than one occasion :) Most climbs aren't a problem now but I'm still over-cautious about stability etc, which isn't a bad thing I suppose. Still, I prefer boots on the ground!

The way Fred Dibnah scaled the chimney stacks and laid his scaffolding on top still gives me the heebie-jeebies though! Probably nothing compared to what some of the boys that you mentioned were doing back in their day though Chris. :shock:
caL13JJ.jpg

You'd be surprised at the number of people who confide in me in a low voice in a lift whathaveyou when I have all my gear on that 'there's not enough money in the world' 'you must be mad' etc. Scaffolders! Scaffolders telling me I must be mad hanging on a rope and they are wearing a harness not connected to nowt but itself. #-o (6 floors up on an unfinished scaff blowing in the wind!) and I never say anything because they can be a shouty lot scaffolders. :|
Its a very common and quite sensible fear. It's not height it's exposure that worries most people.
Anyhow. Back on topic.
Fred Dibnah. =D> =D> =D>
Legend! You can still see his programmes on youtube. Well worth a look. I remember watching as a nipper ( :shock: ) and my Dad who feared not a lot to my young mind shaking his head in utter disbelief. Tying ladders together to make an overhang. God. No harness. Nothing. And he wasn't 23, proving himself doing it either! Different stock Fred Dibnah.

(Sorry Linda! Back on track! Probably the only items saleable at any value would be the threads as mentioned above. The quality of old die cut threads can be better than very modern equivalents, don't worry about rust it's a non issue for someone who knows what they are looking at. Don't throw them). The ladder gear and the axe is probably scrap value (at a guess).
Your Dad never had much to do with any fire fighting service did he? Wild guess.

Cable-Percussion-Drilling.jpg

Sort of H&S ladder related; I used to work with drillers operating these rigs. They would climb up the frame to replace the rope on the pulley, if it had flipped off. Only seven metres to the top but Heathrow Airport didn't like them doing this and closed the works down for two weeks whilst they decided to get a cherry picker in to do that job! These rigs are still the main way to sink a borehole.

Well then, they were fun posts, see it has got things going. There are 5 screw posts. I’ll see what interest there is for them.

In terms of the ladder. Dads father was in the fire service in ww2, it’s a long shot but dad never got rid of anything at all!!!! I know I am wading through it all now!

Thanks folks

Any thoughts on pricing for the vice screws?

If they were from fire service ladders it would be funny as I live in a converted fire service, old fire station at the front now university HQ. There is one former fie officer living here. He would be the person to ask. I will let you all know.

Linda

Hello folks,. I took the things you thought were for a ladder to show dad and he confirmed, and thinks it was from grandads fire service war ladders.

I took the marking knives too. He confirmed pointed end for marking metal, sharp end for wood.

Wild guess based on the colour and the metal handle. :D
Can you see now why your posts are mutually beneficial and not a drag. If people have no interest they just won't answer. There's a 'What's this tool' type thread that pops up on occasion. It's always answered.
I love them and I'm on the sunny, dancey happy song side of the tool knowledge spectrum lol.
:wink:

Back