more geometry stuff

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bob, look up Thien baffle. It's a compact design, easy to make.
- http://www.jpthien.com/cy.htm
I suspect that you will need 4" pipework for the planer, anything less just isn't big enough to cope.
My Thien baffle runs on 32mm fittings from the shop vac. When I need to thickness I connect to a two bag extractor in it's own little outside shed & put up with the inconvenience of emptying.

You can use the barrel as the separator/cyclone, but you don't really need the clever cylone bit, as you can get the barrel to do the same job. Probably.

Wrong (hammer)

The cyclone is way more efficient than anyone who doesnt have one is aware of.
I know, I was sceptical until I got one.
I can fill the 50 litre drum again and again and again with nothing going into the bag, not even dust, and its the work of moments to empty the drum into a bin bag, as opposed to washing and drying a cloth bag.

Since they don't work with an angle you'll need to get a sheet or sidewalk and draw your 110mm and height of 480mm and draw your two 11º angles to get the bigger diameter for the calculator. Or trig it out. :wink:
Pete, I dont have the space or the brainpower :roll: which is why I asked for help. :roll:

Robbo, the thein needs a complete impeller and seperator and bin to be made. I already have all that, just need the stand alone cyclone.

YOJEVAL; that looks more like it. I shall study that, thanks. =D> 8)

sunnybob":1cold53p said:
But I need 2 x 100 mm pipes in the lid. To get any kind of separation inside would involve complicated baffles at the very least, and cause a considerable drop in through flow, and again, a complete reorganisation of what I have.
My simplest, cheapest, and most effective answer to my problem is a cyclone.

You're guessing, Bob. This isn't the case. None of those statements is true. However, you've made your decision, and we who would do it another way should perhaps leave you to get on with it.

sunnybob":1zsvf2d2 said:
But I need 2 x 100 mm pipes in the lid. To get any kind of separation inside would involve complicated baffles at the very least, and cause a considerable drop in through flow, and again, a complete reorganisation of what I have.
My simplest, cheapest, and most effective answer to my problem is a cyclone.

I'm assuming you haven't seen the inside of a functional cyclone. These are not easy to make and are not as simple as an inlet and outlet for the hoses. In every cyclone I've used or seen, from the small version for vacuum cleaners to the large version for 3HP motors, the outlet to the blower assembly requires an appropriately sized tube extending into the cyclone. This allows the incoming material to start swirling around the cyclone instead of being sucked straight up to the impeller. The bottom of the cyclone requires a flange for mounting to the lid of the collection bin or a way to attach a hose for the interface.

I'm not trying to be rude, but if you lack the resources to digest the Bill Pentz information, you might want to give a little more thought to the Thien separator. These are much easier to make than a conical separator and are better suited for a smaller motor.

It doesn't help when you live in a resource restricted area, but you only have one set of lungs. I wish you the best.

Is this what you are imagining, Bob? I'd be interested to know what your proposed method of construction and materials are.
Bobs cyclone 2.JPG
Brian

Attachments

• Bobs cyclone 2.JPG
    Bobs cyclone 2.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 108
Mike G, I've already said I appreciate your are trying to help, and I do appreciate it. =D> =D>
But my entire workshop (all 15 square metres of it :roll: ) is full. I dont have space, money, or inclination to change things around.

The cyclone will be a challenge to build, but I know it works, whereas I dont know if anything else does in my particular circumstances.

Mike K, yes I have made a couple of cyclones, I have bought the little 50 mm nylon cyclone, which by the way has absolutely nothing inside it, not even a 1" down tube.
My current cyclone which has been in place for 2 years now, works extremely well. I made it. It has a 3" plastic pipe coupler protruding 2 1/2" inside the top. The ONLY reasons I started this discussion is because I want to scale it up from 3" outlet x 2 1/2" inlet to 4" at both because of the thicknesser waste quantity, and the fact that the underpowered fan unit (bought on someone elses recommendation sight unseen :roll: (hammer) ) loses a lot through the very restricted current cyclone.
I wish I could afford to ship the axminster one to cyprus, but even if I could my unit is even too underpowered for that.

Yojevol..... Just how did you manage to copy the hand made drawing sitting by the side of me ???????? :shock:

Construction..... yes.... definitely a challenge. But I now have passed the first hurdle, I didnt even know what sized sheet I needed. I am trying to find a metal stockholder here, but no luck so far. Stupidly, there are many ironworkers around, I have a very large one in my village, but they only seem to work in industrial sizes and flat or square. Checkerplate is cheaper to me than construction soft wood :roll: The last one I took my (your) plan to he just said, "its too small for us" even after I made it clear I was prepared to pay top dollar.
I need a couple metres of very thin mild steel or ali. Could even end up in copper, mmmmm, copper........ 8) 8) 8)

Latest posts

Back