more geometry stuff

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunnybob

wysiwyg
Reaction score
I have run out of options in my search for a cyclone here.
I cant afford to ship one in, I cant find anyone to make it for me. None are available in cyprus.
So I need to make my own but have no idea how to set out the drawing, so I am asking all you long suffering whizzkids yet again for help.

Please dont send me to bill pentz site, I dont have the room or the motor size for his charts. I am stuck with a 3/4 HP motor and impellor. :roll: :roll:

I have the sizes I want, does anyone feel willing to lay it out for me?

Starting from the bottom, I want a 110 mm opening, with cone rising upwards and outwards angled at 11 degrees out from vertical. Finished height of the cone is 480 mm.
On top of that a vertical section 120 mm high. with the 100 mm inlet set to the right. A central top opening of 100 mm completes it, except for a bottom collar with 4 fixing holes.

Anyone still suffering the lockdown blues and au fait with autocad or sketchup?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8)

You don't need a cyclone.

Make yourself a wooden box with a tightly sealed door. Have two pipes in the top of it, separated by as long a distance as possible, and make the route for the air between the two as circuitous as practical by putting in a baffle or two. One of the pipes connects to your extractor, and the other connects to the machine/s producing the dust. 90+ percent of the stuff that leaves the dust-generating machine drops into the box, with only the fine stuff carrying on to the extractor.

It's probably taken me longer to write that than to draw your cyclone. :)

Do you have access to any of these?

200-Litre-Blue-Plastic-Drum.jpg_350x350.jpg

They are normally 200 litres, but I do have one that is 100 litres, which would be even more perfect. I get mine free from our local dry-cleaners (they used to contain industrial fabric conditioner), but there are also places who sell them as second hand for around €20. Failing that, the ubiquitous olive oil barrel could be an option - not as robust, but any size you like from 10 litres and up. I seem to remember 200 litres are around €30.

OLIVE_BARREL_STACK_1.JPG

Mike,
I have a workshop 3 metres x 5 metres. There is no outside space available for me. By the time I put in a lifetimes supply of "things that will come in handy one day" and my woodworking machines, and offcuts of wood, what floor space is left over allows me a medium sized cyclone; Just. :roll: :roll:

Trainee neophyte":3o8j5qju said:
Do you have access to any of these?

200-Litre-Blue-Plastic-Drum.jpg_350x350.jpg

They are normally 200 litres, but I do have one that is 100 litres, which would be even more perfect. I get mine free from our local dry-cleaners (they used to contain industrial fabric conditioner), but there are also places who sell them as second hand for around €20. Failing that, the ubiquitous olive oil barrel could be an option - not as robust, but any size you like from 10 litres and up. I seem to remember 200 litres are around €30.

OLIVE_BARREL_STACK_1.JPG

I have the motor, I have the blast gates and the ducting, I have the barrel, I dont have the cyclone. (hammer) :roll:

You're not following me Bob. My box is in place of a cyclone, and is the same size as the cyclone and barrel combination (if that's what you want). It can be made to the floor area you have available, and to virtually any shape.

Mike,
I appreciate youre trying to help.
My available floor space is 18" square x about 60" tall. That has to include the motor and impeller.
I have a 50 litre drum that I converted from a SIP dust extractor a couple years ago, all I need is the cyclone. I've been using a home made cyclone from a 3/4 sized traffic cone and its pretty good at separation, but the connections are only 62 mm so I am losing too much suction, especially when using the thicknesser.

What I have fits the space I have and although making the cyclone will be a complete faff, I wont have to do anything else.
If I start making boxes I dont even have materials to hand so the trips involved, the material costs, the rearranging of a quarter of the workshop is just too much effort for me. 8)

I following this with interest as I use one of those Axminster extractors that uses the filter bag also as the collection bag. It works fine but loses suction fairly soon and needs emptying due to the above. I only use it for a PT and sometimes for turning.
It sits under my bench, I recon if I am crafty I could do what Mike is suggesting with the box idea.

Attachments

• EXTRACTOR.jpg
    EXTRACTOR.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 295
I use a seperator lid on a 200 litre barrel, works a treat and was onlu around £20 but could easily be copied. I have been using it a year and yet to change the bag on my extractor, but the barrel collects majority of the shavings and is easily emptied.

That would work":1zv0vz7o said:
I following this with interest as I use one of those Axminster extractors that uses the filter bag also as the collection bag. It works fine but loses suction fairly soon and needs emptying due to the above. I only use it for a PT and sometimes for turning.
It sits under my bench, I recon if I am crafty I could do what Mike is suggesting with the box idea.

This is what I have.
The bag is a pain to clean and does not stop all the dust.
Running this through the cyclone stops something like 95% of EVERYTHING from getting to the bag, it only gets overpowered by the thicknesser, and thats because the cyclone is too small, allowing stuff to get past the cyclone and then into the bag. I can run the same bag for months at a time with nothing inside unless I use the thicknesser.

Lazurus":15c2sg98 said:
I use a seperator lid on a 200 litre barrel, works a treat and was onlu around £20 but could easily be copied. I have been using it a year and yet to change the bag on my extractor, but the barrel collects majority of the shavings and is easily emptied.
I dont have room for a 220 litre seperator. My 50 litre works well with the cyclone

Lazurus":35c8ikzb said:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Taytools-114970-Collection-Cyclone-Separator/dp/B074Y7JTCY

This is the seperator lid and easily copied

Thats a 62 mm inlet separator lid. Choking a 100 mm down to 62 mm is exactly my problem now and why I am trying to make a 100 mm cyclone.

sunnybob":2wmm2rm6 said:
Lazurus":2wmm2rm6 said:
I dont have room for a 220 litre seperator. My 50 litre works well with the cyclone

The lid can be used on any suitable container, it was just to illustrate what can be done without the expense of a workshop sized cyclone, andy old dustbin or similar would do

I am thinking a plain-ish box with an inlet for the chips and another pipe connecting to the extractor, so the chips hopefully drop into the box without entering the bag. How much effect does a cyclone have? is it to prevent the chips from entering the filter bag? Am I way off here?

You can use the barrel as the separator/cyclone, but you don't really need the clever cylone bit, as you can get the barrel to do the same job. Probably. Try a bit of ply as a lid, cut your holes and experiment a bit, with much gaffer tape. Incoming dust needs to be directed slightly down and to the side, so it makes the vortex, and the air out needs to come up from the centre at the top. Sharp corners are bad, gentle curves are better, straight lines best.

Obviously, the bigger the barrel the more effective, but 50 litre should make a fair difference.

It might even work...

But I need 2 x 100 mm pipes in the lid. To get any kind of separation inside would involve complicated baffles at the very least, and cause a considerable drop in through flow, and again, a complete reorganisation of what I have.
My simplest, cheapest, and most effective answer to my problem is a cyclone.

Is this the cone you're thinking of Bob?
Bobs cyclone.JPG
Except that it's upside down :?

Attachments

• Bobs cyclone.JPG
    Bobs cyclone.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 187
Back