More eBay madness

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is well above the going rate but what crazy bidding history! Great for the seller but idiotic from the buyer's point of view. That is why you should only make one bid 2 seconds before the auction ends.

Click on bidder: v***i and look at their bids!

Assuming they are genuine bids.

It looks a bit like one of the Stanley "Heavy" ones, it should have a H cast into the base if it is.

I have a similar one that is much heaver than a equivalent Record one but its not a heavy.

Pete

It's a decent tool in usable condition from a very experienced seller with a rock solid reputation.
There are plenty of people out there who can't or don't want to go to bootfairs etc but do listen to advice from Paul Sellers and others that an old good plane at £56 is better value than a new one from LV.
How's the exchange rate against the dollar at the moment?

I was recently offered a 4 1/2 for the equivalent of about £37 at a flea market. Would this be a good price for one in good, working shape?

This one was apparently in overall good shape, but I didn't even look too deep into it for three main reasons:
1) I really don't need a #4 1/2
2) the same seller had already tried to sell me a #3 with a cracked body and all painted over to disguise a broken handle (the handle would not be a problem in itself, but just the fact that he tried to disguise it...)
3) the seller went on with the old story "you won't find many of these, it's very rare, a collectible..."
I think that if one doesn´t trust the seller, better not to take chances, even if one may loose a good bargain.

GLFaria":1wwgdrxp said:
I was recently offered a 4 1/2 for the equivalent of about £37 at a flea market. Would this be a good price for one in good, working shape?

This one was apparently in overall good shape, but I didn't even look too deep into it for three main reasons:
1) I really don't need a #4 1/2
2) the same seller had already tried to sell me a #3 with a cracked body and all painted over to disguise a broken handle (the handle would not be a problem in itself, but just the fact that he tried to disguise it...)
3) the seller went on with the old story "you won't find many of these, it's very rare, a collectible..."
I think that if one doesn´t trust the seller, better not to take chances, even if one may loose a good bargain.

I agree trust is a big factor, no matter how good the deal seems to be.

I bought a 4 1/2 from a member on here not so long ago for £20 in good working condition.
I've just bought an ex-display 4 1/2 from Amazon for £22.43 (OK, it's a newer model with resin handles but I can soon change them).

Brand new they are only £52 on Amazon.

I looked at a wide 4 ½ for £15.00 last year at a car boot, went away thinking about it then found another for £5.00, wish i had bought both now. :(

SteveF":2cmos52t said:
they are just autobids

Steve

I know sniping software/websites place your one max bid for you in the last few seconds before the auction ends, but in this auction the bidder has has steadily increase their bid by small increments until they're the highest bidder, if this was done automatically by software, what is the point? Ebay does this for you anyway, the current highest bid is always only one increment (or less) higher than the second highest bidder's maximum.

Shill bidding? I wonder if the seller has been paying attention to how many people are watching, then using a shill bidder to garner interest as though somehow it's worth the extra bids.

rafezetter":atlqnj9g said:
Shill bidding? ...
I'd be very surprised to learn this seller would compromise by resorting to such tactics. As AndyT said earlier "It's a decent tool in usable condition from a very experienced seller with a rock solid reputation.". This seller's offerings are always well presented and honestly (as far as I can tell) described. It wouldn't surprise me if he had a following in the US.

I've occassionally bid, but never won, on this seller's stuff - it always goes for more than I am willing to pay; but I think that is down to the sellers skill in selecting & presenting his stuff.

JohnPW":2r2hay2d said:
SteveF":2r2hay2d said:
they are just autobids
Steve
........... the bidder has has steadily increase their bid by small increments until they're the highest bidder, ......
It known as "nibbling" and is the sign of an inexperienced bidder.
I get them on my auctions and they rarely win. The last and winning bid is usually from a snipe.

I push the bidding up slowly sometimes just to see how high someone else has gone. I'd be more wary of the 0 feedback bidder who comes in with a high bid to start, maybe inexperience but . . . . .

Jon the Bodger":1ykv16uj said:
Seems a 4 1/2 is worth even more if it is the sought after "Record chisel plane 4 1/2" - £64.53 :shock: . "Item condition: Seller refurbished" :) . Now, where's my hacksaw....

I wondered wether it was just a find, but his feedback/history shows a surprising number of "chisel planes". They must be common
around his way for some reason. :D

BugBear

Back