More Door Help, Please!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodchip

Established Member
Reaction score
Hellow again,

I've now ordered the Tulipwood for my painted french doors project (see earlier question). We now come onto the question of locking them.

My wife would like two handles (one per door, obviously) which operate the slave and master together, or just the master as required (i.e. no messing with fiddly shoot bolts). I would like them to operate like espagnolette locks, but hidden in the leading edges of the doors and operated by handles, locking is not particularly important as the doors are between a lounge and conservatory.

A (poor) google search turns up the Ruhr 856 Mulitsafe, which looks like it would do the job, but no prices or suppliers.

Anyone have any links to suitable hardware and or suppliers? I'm based in west yorks if that matters.

Thanks in advance

Pretty much any espag/multipoint would probably do if you don't care about security - you are just need one with shootbolts, but I would try and find one designed for timber doors - they have a bit more 'slop' allowed for, so the hooks etc can pull the doors together. Ones for PVC doors often have rollers instead of some of the hooks, but rollers need to be aligned more carefully to work well (so are more vulnerable to a bit of warpage). Make sure that your meeting stiles are adapted for the multipoints - you need to shift the rebates around.

I have a surplus set of (pretty much brand new, but cut down to size) Winkhaus Cobra FGTE multipoints, which I'd love to sell on to recover a proportion of their cost. They were expensive to start with though (£190), so may be over the top for your application. How tall are the doors?

Got this one on site here the other day worth a try'Sugatsune' . Try again with google . Cheers !

Jake":1t9sb4zx said:
Pretty much any espag/multipoint would probably do if you don't care about security - you are just need one with shootbolts, but I would try and find one designed for timber doors - they have a bit more 'slop' allowed for, so the hooks etc can pull the doors together. Ones for PVC doors often have rollers instead of some of the hooks, but rollers need to be aligned more carefully to work well (so are more vulnerable to a bit of warpage). Make sure that your meeting stiles are adapted for the multipoints - you need to shift the rebates around.

I have a surplus set of (pretty much brand new, but cut down to size) Winkhaus Cobra FGTE multipoints, which I'd love to sell on to recover a proportion of their cost. They were expensive to start with though (£190), so may be over the top for your application. How tall are the doors?
Hi Jake,

Thanks for the reply.

My doors will be approx 2000mm high. What are the backsets on your winkhous?

Looking on the web they look like they will do the job (they are a bit over the top!)

What sort of money are you looking for? (private me if you wish)

Ta

Ah sorry WoodChip. Backset to handle spindle is 45mm and the biggest central lock housing is a total of about 56mm deep. Yes it takes a euro cylinder, none provided. Only has shootbolts on the slave door, but some fearsome armoured hookbolts on the master. Your local friendly burglariser might get a little stuck in the conservatory!

It isn't the version with the built in alu meeting rail, btw.

How does 50% - £95 sound? That's including p&p (which might cost me a bit 'cos they are so bloody long). They've never been used in anger, just fitted to a pair of doors which had to be rejected on delivery.

If you are interested, I'll take some piccys and check the condition again more closely, and the length with a tape measure. I'm sure that they will just need the ends cut down to size (normal procedure) as going by the opening size, the doors these were for were a bit taller than 2000mm).

We buy ours from Mila, Slave and Master £56+ VAT....... we've fitted thousands and never had one back!

Hi Woodchip, have a look at Pickards Hardware, in Keighley. They might be able to help.

Back