More bandsaw woes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, the new capacitor has arrived from Axminster – good service!

As currently wired, inside the box, there is a domino block with 3 terminals wired as follows:

Left terminal - in - blank
- out – blue to capacitor/blue to motor

Centre terminal - in - blue from NVR
- out – brown to capacitor/white to motor

Right terminal - brown from NVR
- brown to motor

The new capacitor does not have colour coded leads, just two white ones, with no indication as to the polarity on the wires or on the case. So the question is, does it matter which way around it is connected to the left and centre terminals of the domino?

Thanks again for your help.

If Axminster have supplied the correct type of capacitor the orientation of the wires is not important, (hence why they are both the same colour) they do not have a polarity.

First of all, many thanks to Bob and Chas for their invaluable advice.

So, the new capacitor is fitted. Does it work. Yes and no. After I had fitted it, I had another look at the settings of the bearing guides. I discovered that, although the roller bearings were a smidgen away from the blade, sides and rear, the blade was fouling the bearing block itself as the block had twisted when doing up the securing nut. Having fixed this, I tried cutting some wood. The saw can now cut 25 mm thick oak and 40 mm thick softwood so certainly an improvement. However, the results are no better than the Scheppach HBS20 that I bought in France in the summer and this was less than half the price of the Axy 250 (although the Axy does have a better table and fence). It looks as if it's about time I upgraded and splashed out some cash.

My Record BS350 started to stall a couple of weeks ago so switched it off and tried turning by hand and it was still jammed. Turns out I had been cutting some veneer and some of the material had jammed between the plastic shroud (H&S gone wrong) and the bottom bearings. As I am not, and have never been in the habit of sticking my hand under the table while using a bandsaw I removed the shroud after which no more problem.

Student":1f79ubrh said:
First of all, many thanks to Bob and Chas for their invaluable advice.

So, the new capacitor is fitted. Does it work. Yes and no. After I had fitted it, I had another look at the settings of the bearing guides. I discovered that, although the roller bearings were a smidgen away from the blade, sides and rear, the blade was fouling the bearing block itself as the block had twisted when doing up the securing nut. Having fixed this, I tried cutting some wood. The saw can now cut 25 mm thick oak and 40 mm thick softwood so certainly an improvement. However, the results are no better than the Scheppach HBS20 that I bought in France in the summer and this was less than half the price of the Axy 250 (although the Axy does have a better table and fence). It looks as if it's about time I upgraded and splashed out some cash.

I think ultimately the saw just doesn't have grunt. I know a lot of people swear by the little Axminster, but I can only assume they were cutting balsa wood. I think the Aldi bandsaw actually has similar rated motor (about 300w?) so a better table, bigger wheels and cut depth are not going to make that any better than the Aldi for resawing if the power rating is the same.

My Scheppach Basa 3 has a bit more than twice the power of my old Axy 250 and the difference is night and day.

Back