Moore and Wright Washer Question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scouse

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just taken apart a rusty pair of Moore and Wright outside calipers to renovate.

There were two washers separating the legs, they were just short of 0.5mm thick and have both disintegrated.

Does anyone know what they were made of and if replacements are available? They seem to be made of a paper/fibre type substance but I don't know what it is.

Thanks in advance

El.

Don't know what M&W used but when we made them we used something we called Elephant Paper, in fact it was used for a multitude of jobs from making washers to insulation layers on coils.

Stiff card like structure with a hard shiny surface.

Can't find any reference to it at the moment.

CHJ":1v3jgo33 said:
Don't know what M&W used but when we made them we used something we called Elephant Paper, in fact it was used for a multitude of jobs from making washers to insulation layers on coils.

Stiff card like structure with a hard shiny surface.

Can't find any reference to it at the moment.

Sounds like a material otherwise known as Presspahn. It has found use for making pricking patterns as used by Lace Makers.

xy

Edit. Just found this note the reference to Elephantid.
http://www.presspahn.com/Products/Materials.htm

That sounds like the stuff, we had it in large rolls. I'm going back 50 yrs but Elephantide seems to ring a bell. Soaked in oil it lasts for years in lightly loaded joints.

Car spares shops used to sell gasket paper. If they still do you could get some of that and saturate it in oil maybe?

Back