Moore and Wright combination square

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richarddownunder

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks

I've always thought a good combination square would be handy. I spied this Moore and Wright 992...I think from the early 1960s? I'm assuming that they were very well made back then and this would likely be accurate. Is that a reasonable assumption. Would a new Starrett be a better bet - they are twice this price in NZ?

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketp...ols/measuring/listing/2845358732?bof=DB1bdWi1
Cheers
Richard

I have a M&W combination set of about that vintage that was my father's. He was an engineer. I also have modern Starrett that I bought (also a small Starrett). There is nothing to choose between them. Both spot on accurate. However, the M&W rule on my father's set has much more defined graduation markings than in the rather poor photos there, so I would check that the rule is indeed metric and original.

As a woodworker I find that I never use the centre finder and rarely use the protractor. The adjustable square on my Starrett is on my bench constantly.

it's funny AJB, because I use both fairly regularly for one reason or another. :)
a large percentage of my inspection gear is Moore and Wright (or Mitutoyo). fantastic stuff that got pushed out by Starrett (which is nice but doesn't have the same feel to me).
assuming the square has been well cared for it will serve you well.

I quite often use the centre finder for turning. It is one of those parts that I am glad I got in the set because I imagine it would be expensive to add afterwards, and the set itself was justified with the rest of the parts in it.

Mine is starrett. When I bought it I looked at the main few makes and that was the best priced. I would have been v happy with Moore and Wright, vintage or new.

Moore and Wright is a British firm founded in 1906 whilst Starrett is American founded in the 1880's. Both excellent brands of measuring tools, just need to check whether it is still accurate. (probably both made in the east now)

Always have to be careful with used measuring instruments, however reputable the make. However, the one you illustrate is still in it's original box and has clearly been treated with respect. I reckon it's as good a bet as any used combination square, especially at half the price of a new tool of equivalent quality.

I just acquired an unused M&W combination set from an old friend for £20 who was looking to get rid of some bits, it is a great bit of kit to have.

Phill

Attachments

• IMG_0638.JPG
    IMG_0638.JPG
    155.8 KB · Views: 75
Thanks all. Phill, that sounds like a great deal! Is the angle at the end of the ruler a standard feature with some of these...yours looks like a similar model? I'm not sure why it is there.

Cheers
Richard

Richard, it will be of the very best quality made in that era. not sure about the angle on the ruler but somewhere in my w/shop I think I have a M & W catalogue from my apprentice days in the 1960's so I will have a look. Mine is a Starrett one ! Cheers John

Richard, I don't know about the angle as well both of mine are square ends.
My old one that I started with in the 60/70's was the blue one not sure of maker in the image rather worn now with years of use, the new.old stock M&W is far better engraving deeper and really well made.
Your's seems a lot of money but I guess if not too many in your part of the world you have to pay the going rate, but they will last you a life time if you don't lose it.

Phill

Edit: Blue one is Rabone Chesterman

Attachments

• square.jpeg
    square.jpeg
    159.6 KB · Views: 22
+1 for the comments above. Mine is a M&W, bought new in the 1980s ("cheap" - in Singapore would you believe, but definitely genuine).

But have used both Starret and M&W and frankly, IMO, there's little or nothing to choose between them.

Provided you don't let it get rusty, or drop it, it'll last your lifetime and probably your kid/s too.

Thanks guys. The listing has expired and it has been re-listed and the price has been reduced a little. I'm tempted to get it but just want to be sure that the ruler hasn't been ground on a funny angle at the end. Seems a bit odd and all the ones I can find with the help of Google are square ended. John, if one is shown in your catalogue with an angled end, then I guess it is there for a reason. If not, maybe it has been altered. I have a relatively cheep Rabone one. It is bang on accurate but I was quite keen to get the angles to check my saw bench and numerous other jobs I seem to need funny angles for.

Cheers
Richard

I have the exact same set in a box...identical. I use the centre finder occasionally as a corner square. these are very accurately made btw. I tend to use mine as semi reference.

Back