Monster Stone

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Osvaldd

Established Member
Reaction score
Saw on ebay the other day, the listing ended so I assume its ok to post it now.
What a monster, look at the size next to a chair. :shock:
7kg weight, 0.5 metre long

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    600.2 KB · Views: 851
Says its a Miniog special Blaenau ffestiniog terminator slate - thats a mouthful

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    515.9 KB · Views: 799
It's not the size of the boat but the motion in the.......

sod that.
giant-wood-hand-plane-55.jpg

If your going to have one, it might as well be a big one. :)

@Osvaldd
don't bring a useful tool to a ridiculous argument. :)
a jolly lovely coopers plane there though. :)

It's not difficult! Welsh is an ancient language, as Brits, most of us have a connection to it at some point in our family histories. Not Prince Charles though. (*mutters... :-s )
So here I am to provide you with a basement bin translation service.
So it's fairly easy if you know some basics. I'm not a Welsh speaker but my Dad is. So I know a few bits. More than my Mrs who once told me she had been to Dogaloo as a kid. *waves at Dolgellau* :D
Easy right?
My old man was born in Amwylch.
Not like Sandwich.
Am-Loch.
I can see you are starting to pick it up so let's move on.
Beddgelert. Double d is a TH phonetically. Everyone knows or should know of this great tale of the dog Gelert. His master went out on the hunt and when he returned his baby Son's cot was tipped over, there was claret everywhere. Gelert the dog had blood all round his muzzle. Enraged, Prince Llywelyn (the great story goes :-" ) took his sword and ended his faithful and proud hounds life right there. The silly person.
Distraught with grief Llewellyn ripped aside the cribs sheets and found his son alive and well and the body of a wolf with his throat torn out. Distraught with grief (again) over his favourite dog, he built a big grave for Gelert. The Grave of Gelert. Bedd being grave.
This is why we didn't deserve dogs then and we still don't deserve dogs now.

Lets get back to the OP.

'Miniog special Blaenau ffestiniog terminator slate'

Miniog (Minyog) Means sharp.Basically.
English word special. We know this word already.
Blaenau Ffestiniog : It's a place famous for some of the best quality slate in the world. Bli -naa Fes tinyow.
Or Just Bli-naa.
Tbh.
Terminator. Is in the great Welsh Tradition of just adding Non Welsh Words in because there is no Welsh Equivalent. Terminator here means 'Badass'.
BTW The microwave in this tradition is known in Welsh as a 'Popty Ping' . If you are feeling low, think on that, say it out loud and you will feel better automatically.
Slate. Yeh that's just slate.

In English it's 'An Awfully Large Sharpening Slate of Proven and Exquisite Quality and Heritage Old Chap. Rather nice actually.'

Easy.
You're welcome.
8)

Bm101":219gjr66 said:
So it's fairly easy if you know some basics. I'm not a Welsh speaker but my Dad is. So I know a few bits. More than my Mrs who once told me she had been to Dogaloo as a kid. *waves at Dolgellau* :D

It's always very entertaining when people absolutely butcher the names like Llanelli, Tonypandy, Aberystwyth (commonly Abba Wristwatch), Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch, Pontypridd, Tonyrefail... it goes on! :lol:

Occasionally they do catch me out as well though :shock:

lurker":dnpshsxw said:
Racers translation is closer to the mark methinks.

Lurker, I was in no way condoning the selling of slate patio offcuts. As you well know. :wink: You Tinker.
I have a side theory. Shhhh. The side theory is that the construct form of language, how we make our ideas through language resonates as to how those ideas become constructed. How you speak becomes your Master. When you realise this, it's all downhill from there TBH.

I'll hijack my own thread and ask - are there any fast, medium-grit natural stones out there? I have Washita and Charnley and both are rather slow. So at the moment my go to is synthetic India combination stone.

You've just put your finger on one of the reasons why India stones overtook natural stones in the UK.
The other was that they were much cheaper! Not a second class product at all.

Osvaldd":1d9h0b0o said:
I'll hijack my own thread and ask - are there any fast, medium-grit natural stones out there?
Why natural? Fast-cutting and natural together = fast wearing (think trad waterstones).

You already have something 'fast', why not use that as they're famously hard to dish? But if you want something truly fast diamonds are yer man, and if you buy right they're cheaper than any other option.

Are you using a honing guide by any chance?
The Wahita works pretty quick for me since I've dumped the guide.
Using a soft arkansas for the moment and becoming eager to see how much faster the washita is again.
Never tired the India, which I've heard is the fastest typical oil stone you can get.

A good Turkey stone is fairly fast, medium to fine and natural. Hard to find though. I lucked out with one at a boot fair.

Back