Monster Plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Osvaldd

Established Member
Reaction score
Very unusual looking thing. Wonder how usable/useful it is?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-05-12 at 07.35.51.png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-12 at 07.35.51.png
    1 MB · Views: 429
It's a beast of a thing!
Where ever did you find it?
I'd love to go on site with it and tell the lads they don't really need those cordless expensive tools!

I don't want to appear to be promoting stuff, i just found it randomly browsing the used tools section of the 'most popular online auction site'.

Type in "coopers plane 6 foot long" you'll find it.

Cheers

Im curious how would you use this thing. It's way too heavy to use as a hand-held plane. Is it just for the show? Some kind of trophy plane?
I remember seeing David Barron's video where he had a similar size wooden one. That one was a beast too.

Well, there's your answer.
It's used by a cooper in making wooden barrels. One end rests on the floor, the other is raised up to about waist height on a pair of legs. The bed of the plane is uppermost, with the cutting edge showing. The cooper pushes individual barrel staves down the slope, over the cutting edge, to form the bevels that will fit together to make a leak proof barrel. All done by eye, without any jigs.
This one is from the twentieth century, older ones were made of wood.

Is that thing still on there? Must've been on there for over 3 years now :lol:

As Andy said, most people just use them in a vice or on a pair of stilts like so:
image.png

But if you're a true craftsman like myself, using it as a regular plane is no problem! Probably the best thing for straightening 15m long boards day in day out! :wink:

Coopers definitely had the most interesting range of planes, worth a look.

Back