Money's no object

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe not 30k, but I've seen some pretty expensive entry doors of a basic design for half that price, and heard of one that approached the value of a smal bungalow

As most carpenters know, any warranty on doors if void if it is not finished on all surfaces, incuding top and bottom. Had some interesting and blunt discussions with painters/finishers over that issue.

Many years ago I asked a door mfgr rep why exterior wood doors were so expensive. "Warranty" was his response, A/c inside, south facing door behind a storm door in the hot summer can produce temp difference of close to 150F, and maybe 100F in winter (today in Calgary we have an 85F differential between inside and outside. That's a LOT of temp variation that could well warp a door, leading to a warranty claim, but if it ain't finished on all sides, including top and bottom, well....warranty is void

Just as an aside, the local high-end door mfgr in Calgry has opted to focus on live-edge "river tables"

Here's one
https://blackforestwood.com/collect...ck-walnut-resin-river-dining-and-coffee-table
Eric

OK, fair comments.

No worries, it was just a theoretical question. I suppose I could have asked - 'tell me about solid oak doors that could and do cost 30k oak.'

A friend of my Father in Law had one made for 30k and I'm thinking, no way, 30k, how can that be justified!?

I'm on the beginning of my learning curve; I do about 10hrs a week on woodworking fundamentals so I thought it would be a good idea to knit my study so far with this query.

Here's what I could throw at it;

It's a UK project so;

English Oak

Big. 2 metres wide say, 2.5 metres tall with a curved (arched) top edge.

Thick - 4 inches?

No flat sawn cut, all quarter sawn (maybe all ridge sawn?)

Seasoned and rested on site for...a good amount of time...?

All hand made with hand tools, no electricity involved - ok, lighting lol

Bespoke chunky ironmongery.

I hadn't considered carving.

Free doorbell :)
Can you obtain a photograph of the door that was built and post it here?

20210209_072301.jpg

The reveal.

Back