Money for Tool Buying

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinding One

Established Member
Reaction score
Why is it that people have such a hard time putting out good money for good tools?? When you go and get married you don`t look for the cheapest girl.On house buying you do not try to find the worst fixer upper to buy...and you certainly don`t buy a car without a motor smoking or wheels wobbling to get to work.So why would you buy junk tools your going to use the rest of your life??I don`t get it,must be a saving up thing,no one wants to save up for the things they are going to need in life.
As for myself I buy the best thats out there,you tell me it cost a lot I like it because you generally get what you pay for quality

Grinding One":2vz4j4q7 said:
Why is it that people have such a hard time putting out good money for good tools??
I wish I had a problem parting with my money for tools, I have shelled out the best part of £4000 ($7400) in tools and machinery so far this year :shock:

Obviously I wouldn't have spent this if I hadn't needed them though :^o

:D

Mark

Grinding One":w855muy6 said:
Why is it that people have such a hard time putting out good money for good tools?? When you go and get married you don`t look for the cheapest girl.On house buying you do not try to find the worst fixer upper to buy...and you certainly don`t buy a car without a motor smoking or wheels wobbling to get to work.So why would you buy junk tools your going to use the rest of your life??I don`t get it,must be a saving up thing,no one wants to save up for the things they are going to need in life.
As for myself I buy the best thats out there,you tell me it cost a lot I like it because you generally get what you pay for quality

Why do you assume that looking for the best price means that someone wants the worst quality?

I personally don't have a huge amount of money to throw around (largely because when I got married first time I didn't look for the cheapest girl) but I do want to pursue my hobby.

Sometimes that means that I get the best I can afford at the time (whilst saving up what I can to get better later)

A good example of this is when I started turning, I bought a cheap lathe and a cheap set of tools, I knew they wouldn't last and I knew I'd spend more later (if I enjoyed it), but I also knew there was a chance I wouldn't enjoy it. I did, so as I have progressed I have bought a better lathe, and better tools, after saving up for each one.

davegw":1zuoc01e said:
Grinding One":1zuoc01e said:

Why do you assume that looking for the best price means that someone wants the worst quality?

I personally don't have a huge amount of money to throw around (largely because when I got married first time I didn't look for the cheapest girl) but I do want to pursue my hobby.

Sometimes that means that I get the best I can afford at the time (whilst saving up what I can to get better later)

A good example of this is when I started turning, I bought a cheap lathe and a cheap set of tools, I knew they wouldn't last and I knew I'd spend more later (if I enjoyed it), but I also knew there was a chance I wouldn't enjoy it. I did, so as I have progressed I have bought a better lathe, and better tools, after saving up for each one.

OK here goes an example: I bought a metal detector Bounty Hunter was the brand,went out daily found nothing but foil and iron,this machine cost me 600.00 in 1980 .I then ran into a guy who was using a Whites Detector and asked him if he was finding anything good,he explained that my machine would work if I wanted to clean the ground of junk...I asked him could I try his? Yep here take it for a spin,I went over the same ground I just did and started digging up all kinds of coins...they were there my machine didn`t find them....well I spent 800.00 more dollars to buy one like he had and now I have a lot of old coins and rings its found.It paid me back all of the money I had spent on the machines and more is still coming in.Now I realize this is not wood working subject matter but it is an example of more sometimes is better,it did help that I had a good job to pay for these at the time.Lesson learned,he told me also that there are a lot of machines in the closet because people would not spend the money for quality.
Now for wood working,I got into it kind of late in my life but I have found that buying quality the first time ,used or new you come out ahead.Do the reserch then and only then after you saved up buy the best.I went to shops to see what tools they were using

Then I bought mine.

I don't doubt that some (most) times more expensive is better.

Using your metal detector as an example if you could found 2 metal detectors with exactly the same functionality, from two companies giving the same level of service, and equal on any other variable you wish to choose other than price, and one was $300 less than the other would buying the less expensive one make you cheap?

When I buy anything I rarely by the cheapest, almost as rarely as I buy the most expensive. Rather I buy the item that provides the best value to me. Sometimes that means people look at me as if I am a cheapskate, and other times people look at me as if I am a spendthrift. But in everything I buy I think about cost, service, need, and my principles.

davegw":1o2u153p said:
I don't doubt that some (most) times more expensive is better.

Using your metal detector as an example if you could found 2 metal detectors with exactly the same functionality, from two companies giving the same level of service, and equal on any other variable you wish to choose other than price, and one was $300 less than the other would buying the less expensive one make you cheap?

When I buy anything I rarely by the cheapest, almost as rarely as I buy the most expensive. Rather I buy the item that provides the best value to me. Sometimes that means people look at me as if I am a cheapskate, and other times people look at me as if I am a spendthrift. But in everything I buy I think about cost, service, need, and my principles.

Good words to live buy,but my brother came to my side of the states(he`s on the west coast and heard about my fines)I am in the midwest,anyway he had a machine he bought that cost as much as mine did 800.00 .We both went out to a site and I let him go first because detectors will bounce signals back and forth.Well long story short ,I called him back over to where he just was and asked him to identify this object.He told me his detector told him it was junk.mine said Gold...it was a Gold ring 6 inches deep....the next time I went with him he scraped that detector (sold it) and had one like mine.The top of the line in Whites is around 1200.00 its batteries last 10 hrs mine goes 17 hrs.and is 10 years old now and still paying me back.Sure glad I have it,my wife likes it too the ring she has is part of my fines.....

Id by the worst property if it's cheep enough and on the best street... Which based upon UK and US market at the moment, is, err, most streets :(

Grinding One":nmxxa9uz said:

Hmmm
let me see
Cos good money is hard to come by?

There's nothing wrong with cheap girls or fixer uppers. Cheap cars get you from A to B as long as youre happy to replace them with another cheap car to get you back to A again.

Horses / courses. It's a case of buying appropriately for your requirement. For eg I was offered a £1500 pound lathe, I knew it was the dog's danglies, but it's inappropriate for me to spend more than a couple of hundred quid to discover whether I have the turning thing within me. Having said that you should see what I just did with carving gouges.

Cheers Mike

I`m just saying buy the best you can afford ,do not try to fined the cheapest junk you can fine...junk is junk,kind of like Barnum & Bailey ,they had a saying that goes"There is one born every minute"(Sucker) all you have to do is find them.They will buy anything,just offer it....

Hiya

Ok Question back for you then Grinding One :?:

When you first started out did you know you wanted to do this as a hobby or for work or was it like myself had an interest and thought i'd see if i had any aptitude for woodwork ??

I don't know about you but i'm a normal bloke have not won the lottery so bought a table saw, router, sander etc etc but all on a budget. This was mainly to see if i could get into it why waste £1000 plus on a whistle and bells table saw ( although i do look in envy now i have got into it) to find out its not something i really like or have the talent to do.
Surely this is more of a waste of money than buying budget to start with then upgrading (which i will be doing now as and when able to with the best i can afford and also which i think gives good value) to a better product.

My table saw sander etc are Ryobi ......... :oops:
Ok not the best make but to try out and see i think are a great compromise of money and quality and after hearing about how unacurate they can be on this forum it gives me hope that ok while i may not be the best or even make the top million at this lark i can blame my tools for now :twisted:

I do take you point about buying the best you can afford just thought i'd add the other side to that, i'd have loved to have gone out and bought 10ks worth of shinney new toys (SWMBO might have made me pay a higher price i think) how much of a waste would it have been to find out that in the end was a passing fad :?:

Martin

I`ll have a story now: When I got out of the Army I had nothing,I needed a job .I got a job by taking a test at a factory ,the interviewer gave me a book and said I was quilified to do any job in this book along with the training they would give me.I open the book and pointed to the middle,i`ll do this...Not knowing what it was,i just wanted work.Well it was a lineman job , keeping electricity flowing on the lines.I needed tools ,they told me which ones to buy.I had 700.oo from the Army savings,and bought the tools that was 1967.I still have those tools.
Now every payday I took 10% of my earnings and tried to fine more tools to have in case something went wrong at the house,(rental) first was tools for car scokets,wrenches,hammers,screwdrivers...But I looked at Craftsmen tools because of warrenty .They stated that they would replace any defective tool during your lifetime,and they have .As I got older I started buying woodworker tools because chairs would get loose or something got wet and stained,started reading up on different tools and books on subject and went to cabinet shops where people worked with wood.I saw what kinds of tools they were using and bought same.Then the hobby came at me one day at a wood show,I saw a guy scroll sawing asked a few questions and he said he gave classes on it at his house....I went to his classes and it was for wood carving not scrolling,oh he did show me a lot of scrolling but I did not do any there.He said first you must understand what the wood is telling you,gave me a piece of wood and a knife and said make a duck,there is one in there.It took me 12 hrs to fined it (I took it home to work on it) I brought it back the next class and asked him how did I do? He said good first try but not that good but he could fix it,he left the room and came back in a few minutes with two pieces,show me the back piece and put it on the table with the butt sticking up,he said now it looks real.Everyone in classs was laughing but me.I tried to do it right but I was still learning what the wood was telling me.I do a lot better now....He told me what tools to buy so I would be wasteing my money on cheap woodworking tools,if you can not afford the best new, buy the BEST used and refurbish them.They do not cost as much used and can find them at auctions where a woodworker has died,but his tools have not.So after all of these years I have a lot of old tools and a lot of brand new tools,Guess I am a tool nut...but now I can hold my own with about anyone.
So my advice is take a class and see if you like what you are doing in it,I really believe anyone ,yes anyone can do this even people with two left hands its just a little harder for them,but even they can do it.Buy the tools that you see the professionals use,they can not make money with junk tools. The reason they sell cheap tools is because there are a lot of people who will buy one as a gift for someone and they will put it away.They will not use it or will use it a couple of times and you will see those tools for sale at your Boot sales (garage sales here) cheap tools that break easy(poor tooling)and or metal,probably why they call them toys.
So if I was just starting out I still would buy tools after taking a class only to find out what works best for me and where I was going with them.Save up to buy the best one 10% of your pay is not a lot ,but you will have money to buy the best in a few paydays.

Grinding One":2e4cwkgy said:

How are you getting on with your Holteys? :twisted:

A little beyond my budget.

BugBear

You make your choices don't you dependent on all kinds of factors. Whenever I can I buy the best I can as the best tools are more than just a tool, they're a work of art and engineering, often things of beauty and make the job in hand that much more pleasurable.

For example, I've used a Stanley spokeshave and it's a spokeshave and it chatters a lot. Will do the job eventually though. My veritas spokeshave looks well made, feels great in your hands and goes about its business in an understated and efficient manner. My biggest problem with using that tool is remembering to stop.

Doesn't stop me looking out for the best price though

I think one of the problems is that in the UK we are constantly getting ripped-off with extortionately high prices.

I will be travelling to the US on business next week so I've ordered a Veritas Apron Plane with the A2 iron from Lee Valley. Price delivered to the US address is $89, or about £52 at current exchange rates.

Axminster price for the same item is £105 plus delivery, which, obviously, is more than double the US price. Maybe I could find it cheaper in the UK by looking around, but I doubt it we be anywhere near the US price.

Ironballs":11e84prh said:
You make your choices don't you dependent on all kinds of factors. Whenever I can I buy the best I can as the best tools are more than just a tool, they're a work of art and engineering, often things of beauty and make the job in hand that much more pleasurable.

For example, I've used a Stanley spokeshave and it's a spokeshave and it chatters a lot. Will do the job eventually though. My veritas spokeshave looks well made, feels great in your hands and goes about its business in an understated and efficient manner. My biggest problem with using that tool is remembering to stop.

Doesn't stop me looking out for the best price though

My point exactly,you found a tool you know is best quality,may have tried it at a friends house...saved up some money and waited till you found it at discount.Then you bought it,not the other way round,found a cheap price and bought it on impulse....only to fined out later it was junk.

Peter T":2bhhec7k said:
I think one of the problems is that in the UK we are constantly getting ripped-off with extortionately high prices.

I will be travelling to the US on business next week so I've ordered a Veritas Apron Plane with the A2 iron from Lee Valley. Price delivered to the US address is $89, or about £52 at current exchange rates.

Axminster price for the same item is £105 plus delivery, which, obviously, is more than double the US price. Maybe I could find it cheaper in the UK by looking around, but I doubt it we be anywhere near the US price.

Its probably you import tax dragging up the price or supplyers of like tools that want you to buy Englands tools

I think I have said it before. Some tools require an investment. Other's dont. Hand tools, require paying out good money for good tools. Power Tools, don;t buy the cheapest, but don;t buy the most expensive. In my opinion portable power tools can let you down at any time, motors can burn out and other problems can occur.

I must be lucky then because I still have power tools I bought in the 60`s and they still work good.My hand tools are Craftsman brand and I have replaced a few but there warranty is for their life so no cost to me,other then gas to get them back home.
Hope you can afford the quality brands and only buy once.I bought a router from Porter cable and used it hard for 2 weeks,it broke down (Brushes) my fault to big of bit...But when I took it back to get new brushes the manager said it should have lasted a lot longer than that and gave me a new one.I explained that I misused it,he said it still should have worked.Now thats service and back to work I went and Porter cable has since got a lot of my business.

Back