Moisture Meters

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waka

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
All

I am in the process of choosing a moisture meter so that when I visit wood yards I can test the content. What can the team reccommend as a reliable meter. Also usefull for my stockpile of green wood

The ones I have looked at on the Axminster web site show the intrusive and non-intrusive type, would it be better to go for the non-intrusive type? I'm not sure that the wood yards will be all that pleased if I start sticking pins into their wood. Or is this an acceptable practice?

There is a vast difference in price even between the intusive type, in this instance, (baring in mind that I'm only a hobbyist) is it cheapest will do?

Eagerly awaiting response so order can be placed.

Waka,

The yards won't mind a pin type, they often use this sort themselves.

Having said that, I prefer the induction type. It is much quicker to "sweep" a board end to end and it is not going to be fooled by wet "tracks" in the wood caused by odd saturated surface fibres. However, as I have hardly used a pin type I can't give you much of a comparison.

You might want to take a look at this page http://www.wwwagner.com/index.cgi?page=english_faq

I have a Wagner meter and it has worked well for me for at least 8 years.

Waka,

I have a Wagner MMC205 and it does the job for me

Chris/Scott

Thanks for your response, its interesting that no one had responsed who use the pin type.

I have taken what you said and ordered the wagner L609, a bit pricy but should see out the rest of my time. I'll give it a try at the yandles show.

Scott, I did a search on the model you have but couldn't find a supplier.

Thanks again

Waka,

I have a pin type meter (moisture check http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=22800&recno=3 ), which i haven't had for long but it seems to work well. I too have reservations about pushing the pins into timber - I can't help feel that every time I do that its going to be in the one place that will end up on show!
I think I would have gone for a non invasive type if they weren't so expensive but I think what i have is fine for my needs at the mo'.

Sorry to be too late to be of much use .

Cheers

T

Tim

Thanks for the response, you weren't really too late as I was leaning towards the non-intrusive type meter anyway, I just wanted confirmation before spending that kind of money.

I too have reservations about sticking the pins in, not only in my stock but also when out and about to the wood yards. last thing I need is someone complaining about pin hioles everywhere.

When I get home and try it out I'll stick a review up, not sure thats been done yet.

Philly, do you have the Pion type, maybe I could do a comparison.

Waka
Yup, I do have the pin type-the Veritas one.
Its good, although really you need to put it into a freshly cut part of the timber for a truer reading.
Think you might be better off with the pinless though-sounds better to me but i couldn't justity the cost. :roll:
Cheers
No comments please
Philly :D

Philly":3lockbya said:
pin type-the Veritas one.
Just to avoid confusion, we finally established it's not a Veritas product here. :wink:

Cheers, Alf

"Couldn't justify the cost." Ho ho. To make a hollow laughter... :roll:

O.k.-sorry, its not the veritas one, it is the one Axminster and Brimarc sell.
And I saw those minute little comments Alf! :wink:
Cheers
Philly :D
(Who is losing credability quickly :roll: )

Hi Tim,

at £899.00 + VAT a piece I can see us all rushing out to buy one. :wink: :lol:

Back