Moisture Meter

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodythepecker

Established Member
Reaction score
My cheap old moisture meter has given up the ghost and so i need to get a new one.
The trouble is after doing a lot of research i am still no nearer as to which type i should get..

First of all we have pin or pin less. I have read that the pin type is more accurate, but if this comes down to 1/2 or 1% does this really matter?
A plus for the pin less, is that they are said to be better/faster for scanning a length of board, is this correct?

I have also read that the pin less is non intrusive. I can understand that this would be a problem with antique or fine furniture, but is it really a problem if you are just checking wood in a timber merchant? Or am i overlooking something else?

One point i am not to sure of is surface moisture, how does the non pin type know which is which?

What about calibrating for different types of timber, is it easier to do this on one type or the other?

What models do other members have?

Many thanks

Woody

Hi Woody

I've had this one for a couple of years and I'm also happy with it:

http://www.wmsupplies.com/mmc205.htm

It's pinless and you can just swipe it over a board to see the mc over the full board. Apparently surface moisture doesn't affect it.

Thanks for your advice and the link. I think that i will certainly be going for a pin less model, but first i need to know about the calibration verification block, which i understand from that sites info monitors/maintains the factory calibration of certain models. This is all they have written about this device and i have not come across it, or anything like it on other manufacturers sites, so do i really need it? Does any other member use it for their Wagner?

Regards

Woody

Woody,
I have never bothered with the calibration block, I have a few bits of most species in my scrap that have been in the workshop for years and these kind of serve - as I know that they are in equilibrium with the workshop and ideally that is how I want any wood to be that I start work on (except for rough milling).

With all moisture meters, if interested in the exact figure for MC, one does need a set of tables that compensate for different species (generally the denser woods give a higher reading) - they come wiht the meter and as I found when I lost mine, they can email a new set if need be (dunno why they don't simply put them on the web really).

I chalk my boards with MC and date when taken into the shop and repeat a few times until I am happy they are ready.

Woody

I use the Wagner L609, comes with the coversion table as Chris says and is easy to use.

A bit pricy but does the job.

Hi

There was a review of moisture meters, both pin and pinless models, in "Wood" a selection of articles from Fine Woodworking magazine. he author was "Taking the Measure of Moisture Meters" by John Sillick.

Not too sure about the date of the article, but 18 models were compared to one another and it also covered the differences in operation of pin vs pinless models etc.

The conclusion was that the author "liked something about nearly all the meters he surveyed", but if he were to go out and buy one tomorrow, "I'm pretty sure I would go for the Wagner L606 as it has EMF technology at a reasonable price and wonderfully comprehensive correction tables. Its easy to use and compact. A real winner."

The "budget" recommendation was the Electrophysics MT80.

If you want a photocopy or more info send me a PM.

Alternatively, you may (I stress may) find it on the www.taunton.com website as it does contain some back issue articles from the magazine.

regards
Mike

Latest posts

Back