MOGs in Sheds

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lonsdale73

Established Member
Reaction score
Just before Xmas I was advised of a Men in Shed group not far from me. I'd already reached the conclusion that I was probably at my limit as to what I could usefully learn from books or youtube and I could possibly benefit from being more hands-on with people who know what they're doing. So I went along, met a nice bunch of guys but sadly they are still a few months away from being operational.

Ever helpful though, hey did point me in another group which has been going for a few years now so I arranged to go see them. What a bunch of Miserable Old Gits they were - and I say that as a self-confessed, fully paid-up MOG myself. They talked a lot about their need to make money but didn't seem to be offering anything in return for my hard-earned. One really ought to have a brightly-lit neon sign directly above him, flashing arrows pointing his way and wording that declared "Punch here now!"

Looks like I'll be troubling you lot a bit longer yet.

My wife tells me I am a fully paid up MOG and I spoke to a MIS man at a county show where he was trying to attract members, I was on a stand in the same tent for a couple of days. He was very friendly, knowledgable and helpful. There is one relatively near to me but I have no time to even think about it at the moment.

I think small groups of people self assimilate. Bit like the Borg from Star Trek. I work at a lot of different big buildings that have teams of facilities management. Same jobs essentially, engineers, security, front of house etc but you definitely see patterns of behaviour that vary between buildings. One lot will generally all be positive. Go to another and they are all miserable clock watching, mor'n me job's worth mate types.
Human nature.
That particular hive mind is infected. Find another that's not. May have to travel a bit further but work out if it's worth it for the craic and the experience of dealing with some good guys on a regular basis and it might be worth the diesel.
I say this as someone who would quite happily retire down my shed if I won the lottery. People say.. in that conversation .. but you'd miss people!
I nod. For their benefit mostly.
:D

Bm101":3fzih1t7 said:
I think small groups of people self assimilate.
:D

Not familiar with the Borg but I think you're right. For a while I was involved with two groups of people with a common interest. One lot had a disproportionate amount of snooty, clique-forming gits who didn't welcome any newcomers. They were renowned for being unfriendly, unwelcoming and not much fun to be around. The second lot were as different as can be, so much more relaxed, helpful and pretty much everything the first lot weren't.

Being a MOG, I don't have many expectations and looking forward to anything that has the potential to meet other MOGs something of a rarity. Perhaps why I found this particular experience so disappointing.

Back