modular work bench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulm18v

Reaction score
Hello. looking for some advice really. looking at using some buffalo board for the top of my workbench build hopefully with built-in router station & table saw, yes will be using the smooth side.Any advice will be very much appreciated. Thanks. :lol: :lol: :lol: (hammer)

Welcome to the forum.

Buffalo board. This is a ply with some kind of coating on one side, isn't it? I can't see why that wouldn't work. However, have you thought through the work process involved in having a table saw and router table built into your bench? I can't see that being anything other than a huge inconvenience, with you having to clear the bench every time you wanted to use either of the tools. I've never seen such a set up, and I can't imagine it being successful.

I cannot imagine it being the safest set up either. Surely you would need to be unnaturally tidy to make it work?
There are ways of combining things though (I assume you are on a space saving mission)
I have my router table fixed to the end of my table saw so it doubles as an outfeed table. My lathe has a guillotine trimmer bolted to the end of the bed. There are plenty of other combinations I'm sure. Maybe a hinged drop down router table on the end of your bench would be a somewhat more workable solution.

thanks for the feedback guys, guess you have never heard of youtube there are loads of this type of bench builds incorporating saw, router, etc, etc. Although this will not be the only table in my cave I also have an assembly table. will probs go down the birch ply root?. Thanks again for the advice & the welcome.

I got the same idea a year or two ago and integrated a Dewalt 745 tablesaw and a Trend router table into a "modular" bench, basically a big plywood box on wheels.

Having used it for a while now I can't recommend it, as was already pointed out you have to clear the top for cutting or routing, no matter what you leave lying around, it will be in the way.
Also the top will need a few cuts in it to extend the mitre slots of both saw and router table and for some reason I can't get the transition from saw/router table to the bench as smooth as I would like.

Just my 2P....

Cheers!

Ferenc

The paulk type benches have the table saw attached at one end, and a router in the actual bench. This is likely what the OP is seeing on YouTube

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

paulm18v":j8xwiyfq said:
........ guess you have never heard of youtube........

That's a bit sarky for your second post here.

If you knew anything about Youtube you'd realise that it is full of rubbish, of half-wits, of "makers", and of dangerous attention seekers. Five percent of woodworking stuff is worth watching at the most. On this forum you have a whole bunch of experienced woodworkers, including a number of professionals. Ease up on the sarcasm and take the free education you are getting in the spirit in which it is given.

Its not like you to hold back mike :)
I'm sure I read a router table wip thread who used buffalo board, damn good build as well I may be wrong but I think it was random orbital Bob??

MikeG.":1ttmov1f said:
paulm18v":1ttmov1f said:
........ guess you have never heard of youtube........

That's a bit sarky for your second post here.

If you knew anything about Youtube you'd realize that it is full of rubbish, of half-wits, of "makers", and of dangerous attention seekers. Five percent of woodworking stuff is worth watching at the most. On this forum, you have a whole bunch of experienced woodworkers, including several professionals. Ease up on the sarcasm and take the free education you are getting in the spirit in which it is given.
No sark intended sorry you felt like that, [ probs your time of the month ] But how do you know that I am not Aa expert o n youtube, & personally it's your right to think it's full of rubbish but again that's your prerogative, now who;s been sarky?, the world is full of diversity Don't judge other people on what your personal views on youtube are !!! wheres the evidence on the 5%, & to call some of the professionals that I tend to watch half-wits, Well that says it all !! I reiterate that I appolagise to you if you felt sarcasem as that was NOT my intension & allso to any othere members of that forum that felt the same way.

paulm18v":sjnkpueq said:
...... No sark intended sorry you felt like that,

Good. Thank you for the apology. It might help you to read back through your posts before you hit "Submit"

[ probs your time of the month ]

OK, that's not helping your cause. Now we've gone from sark to snark, as the Americans would have it.

now who;s been sarky?

Not me. I gave it to you straight.

Don't judge other people on what your personal views on youtube are !!!.....

I didn't. I gave you the benefit of my 40 years of woodworking experience, including a period as a professional high end furniture maker. I commented on your bench idea with a gentle query/ suggestion, and you piled back in with "you've never heard of Youtube".

How about a re-set. Respond to the points raised without any comments about the person making them, hey? Start again, and we'll pretend this never happened. You could begin by telling us why you think it would work for you whereas 2 or 3 posters, including someone who had a bench just like that, said it wouldn't be a very practical setup in a workshop.

Back