Modular toolbox/toolchest

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwillett

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering if anybody had any recommendations regarding modular toolchests/tol boxes?

I don't need it to go out of the garage, so it doesn't need to be on a trolly or go into a van. I also don't want to spend Snap-on prices :)

The key thing is having drawers not lids.

I've seen this from Keter

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Keter-Tool...54&hvtargid=pla-522945499587&psc=1&th=1&psc=1
but quite a few people seem to think it's not very strong. Whilst I'm not looking to put an elephant on top of it, it would be nice to have something stronger.

I've seen this company in Germany which looks close, but the drawers aren't very wide.

https://www.auer-packaging.com/gb/e...jyfDbeOcIAC7nX3BTiCBim1CQlVh2FShoCi2wQAvD_BwE
This looked great but the monthly costs look like something from SnapOn.

https://www.franklin-tools.co.uk/storage/tool-boxes
Any suggestions welcomed.

thanks

Rob

Last edited:
Have you looked at the Halfords ranges? They have a couple of different quality levels (usually on display in their branches). They regularly have deals and special offers on them if you can wait a month or two.

My nearest Halfords is.... (let me check their website)

1619458216047.png

It's an hour (ish) to my 'local' Halfords each way :)

In all seriousness I did check their website before and saw these:

https://www.halfords.com/tools/stor...tal-storage-and-modular-trays-5704131020.html
Very nice, but £250-£300 a pop for each bit. Whilst not in the SnapOn range (or even the third hand SnapOn range), it's still too expensive for me. I can't just drop in to see what they have going on offer. I used to live in SE London and would regularly drop into the Old kent Road or Greenwich Peninsula branch.

Thanks

Rob

I think their red range is below that in grade and price. They also get a lot cheaper when the deals are on.

I forget some times when you are outside of the big cities that everything isn't just 5 minutes away. Not a very practical option when you have set aside three hours - I see why you are looking at amazon now!

Teng Tools are a reasonable quality/price compromise.
I have a large stainless unit like the one on the Franklin link which I got from the local DIY super store. It was dented so had a big markdown. Of course the ding just pushed out when I got it home. I have a mini mill and lathe mounted on top and it’s holding up really well. If you are looking for something like that then check out the big name home stores.

I think their red range is below that in grade and price. They also get a lot cheaper when the deals are on.

I forget some times when you are outside of the big cities that everything isn't just 5 minutes away. Not a very practical option when you have set aside three hours - I see why you are looking at amazon now!

I spend 30 years in London and got used to everything being close by, we had five sushi places within walking distance in Greenwich, the nearest now is a county away.

The upside is fabulous walks, selling a house in London and getting 4x as much space for half the price, not getting murdered in our street (happened outside the North Pole in Greenwich, about 100m from us), and better schools for the kids. We also happen to get 1Gb fibre ethernet to the house for less than we paid in London, so we can work from home with no issues.

I have to scour eBay and Amazon for deals, can't head up the Old Kent Road and pop into Halfords, B&Q , pop over to PC World, drop in at Toys R Us and Staples. Those days are behind us.

I'll keep looking.

Rob

I bought a roll cab a year or two ago.
Looked at quite a few. In the end I bought a Clarke from Machine mart.
The cheap Clarke ones are the same as Halfords and many others, very flimsy, rubbish wheels and runners and they are not very deep front to back.
I went on a sale or vat free day and bought the HD something or other, its just better everywhere and has proper wheels. Mine is a silly black and gold colour but it was an extra 20 quid cheaper.

Ollie

Hi I have some of the Halfords Industrial chests and cabinets and also bought some for work. Some were new others used. They are well made and strong. I have heard complaints about their new Advanced range having problems with the drawers
If buying again I would look at SGS who seem to have a decent range, stuff I have bought from them is delivered quickly and is strongly made

it is worth noting that Halfords offer substantial discounts if you have a trade card - and if you have a company, getting a trade card is not difficult...
you won't get discounts on things like car radios or bikes - but tools and tool chests, can be worthwhile...

eg: tool chests are mainly 20% discount...

it is worth noting that Halfords offer substantial discounts if you have a trade card - and if you have a company, getting a trade card is not difficult...
you won't get discounts on things like car radios or bikes - but tools and tool chests, can be worthwhile...

eg: tool chests are mainly 20% discount...
Yes trade card is useful but quite often special offers trump trade discount which can’t be used simultaneously.

Back