Modified Router

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlanG

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello there
Just passing on an idea I tried recently after buying a relatively cheep router (B&Q 2000 watt) dedicated to my router table (Triton).
I removed the dust collection port; the plastic sole plate and the plunge return springs.
Result: The collets now protrudes through the table to enable cutters to be changed from above without grovelling in the dust, and the height can be set without the help of two strong men and a pit pony. Has anyone else tried this? If so did it work for you?

Alan

Alan,

did exactly the same as you and it works luverly

I noticed the other day that B&Q now do a router table
with a dedicated router built in which is not intended to
be used free hand.

Thought it was quite a good idea. didn't get a good look
at it as SWMBO starts getting all twitchy if i go near the
tool section :lol:

Signal

Signal you should leave her at home & say you are going to the shops for a pint of milk & a loaf of bread.
When you return with some tools tell her you were kidnapped & dragged to B&Q by their over 50s thugs. hehe
P.S. Make sure you have the bread & milk and she may believe you.

I've now got three of these routers, two are permanently mounted in router tables and do only one job, so no resetting required until the tools need sharpening.
The last one I bought for site work, 20% off all power tools at B&Q recently, £80 for a 1/2" router, ideal for the job

John

I've been wondering about this for ages, specifically why router manufacturers don't make something for table-mounting. Rather as Alan suggests but could go even further - ie, add in a raising system accessible from above rather like the router raizer and similar products.

Someone suggested this on Fine Woodworking's Knots forum a while ago and got a load of abuse for his "dumb idea". "What if I want to use it handheld?" seemed to be common objection, as though that negated the whole table saw concept! "What... you mean I can't take the saw out of the table? How dumb is that??!?!"

I think the router makers are missing a trick. I know the new Porter Cable has just about everything you'd want, but it also comes with loads that you don't (handles, etc) if you're going to permanently table-mount it.

Why not go the whole hag and design a machine similar to a shaper that takes regular router bits . I was slated for saying this same thing on another forum . How many do you think they would sell at a sub £500 ,i think they could make a killin . No table to purchase,router,fence,extra on/off switch,router raising device or clamps.

The Record/Lurem(?) Opti-wotsit - Optimake maybe? - took router cutters I believe. Can't say I've fallen over many of them though, but perhaps that was more to do with the T/S and P/T capacities. I think there might have been a speed problem for router cutters with the belt drive too. All probably irrelevant, but I was suddenly reminded of it. Darn nearly got one instead of the Maxi; not sure whether that would have been a blessing or a curse... :?

Cheers, Alf

I to have done the same thing. I have just finished my router table today, works great. just got to clear up now, maybe the wife will do it for me. NOT. :wink:

Pete W":4o540v4h said:
I've been wondering about this for ages, specifically why router manufacturers don't make something for table-mounting.

They do, fixed base routers!!!! Loads available and mine cost £69.99

Thanks for the replies; good to see it’s not only me who’s frustrated by the poor performance of a router when suspended from a router table.
I suspect the modifications are applicable to many other makes of router.
The most difficult part was disengaging the large spring, which forms the inner part of the dust port on the B&Q router, but when this is done the rest is easy.
Next job is to find a way to strengthen the plunge lock lever, which is made from a hollow plastic casting and has the annoying habit of slipping around the 4mm bolt head it’s attached to.
As Peter suggests there is a need for an easy method of raising the router in the table. Triton router table owners could find many suitable places to pivot a simple lifting devise from.
If anyone has any ideas then don’t be shy let us know.

Alan.

Signal
Do you have any problems with just relying on the Sissor jack for vertical positioning?
Is the jack connected to the router body?

You have got me wondering

Bean

Beam,

no problems once I removed the main plunge spring in the router
and made sure that the jack and columns on the router where well
greased.

Signal

As Tony has already pointed out the simple answer is a fixed base router.I have one in my table and it requires no effort to accurately set the cutter height,just turn a fine adjustment knob,no springs or jacks to worry about.It can also be removed from the table and used by hand without modification.

Coopes":phwpe3lu said:
Oh deary me... Probably reading this thread will give you an idea. Certain people (naming no names, but one has an interesting taste in head gear and the other suffers from loginus-forgetticus :wink: ) have many joking - well mainly joking - arguments about the merits of the 'Rat as opposed to the Leigh <cough, spit, where's-the-disinfectant, etc etc>. Occasionally, just for fun and if things get a little slow and boring, I (and others) have been known to stir this up a bit. I know, it's shameful. I hang my head. :oops: However, when it isn't deliberately mentioned for the purposes of hilarity, I personally like to whisper it, otherwise it's like a red rag to a Nei-, er, bull... :wink:

A long way of saying: it's just a silly tradition we've got ourselves stuck with. Bear with us, occasionally we hit the shores of sanity, even if it is only by accident. :D

Cheers, Alf

Latest posts

Back