Modern bathroom cupboard

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomashenry

Established Member
Reaction score
Had my bathroom redone last year and asked the man to bring out a short stud wall to create a niche around the boiler. Idea was that I would then make some sort of cupboard to fit into the niche that hides the boilder and pips, provides towel storage, above he boiler, and general storage below.

Found it tricky as the space was irregular in all dimensions, lots of scribing and measuring was needed. The cupboard also needs to be removable, for when the boiler needs changing or repairing, plus there are some wall sockets I need to keep available, plus all the pipes. So, there were are a lot of requirements, and I must have spent ages trying to decide how to do it. That's all before I considered the look - I wanted something modern, bespoke and high end looking - not simple shaker frame and panel doors. It also needed to be cheap.

Finally completed it.

tallshot2.JPG

tallshot.JPG

towels.JPG

boiler.JPG

bottom.JPG

I made a frame out of 2 by 3 contruction timber, this can slide in and out (just!) and is shaped to fit around all the pipes and obstructions. The two outer stiles of this are faced with oak, and then I made three doors, consisting of standard mortise and tenon frames, onto which I glued 9mm thick oak slats, leaving a 2.5mm gap in between each. The idea is that it just looks like a continuous wall. The doors are all opened by pushing. The oak all comes from a few packs of surplus T&G flooring I picked up for free on gumtree, cut it all down to side on the Aldi bandsaw (the only power tool used in the project -what a brilliant bit of kit for £80) and each piece was then finished with a hand plane. Took a long time!

Very happy with the result - it's not totally 110% perfect - the gaps around the doors could be ever so slightly more even in places, but I think it looks really good overall.

Attachments

• tallshot2.JPG
    tallshot2.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 608
  • tallshot.JPG
    tallshot.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 614
  • towels.JPG
    towels.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 607
  • boiler.JPG
    boiler.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 589
  • bottom.JPG
    bottom.JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 590
No idea why the pics are horizonatal. When you click on them individually they are displayed in the correct orientation.

I like that a lot.
It's a great example of how a bespoke answer can be so much better than something ready made. And how with time and patience you can do a neat and tidy job with the appearance you want. Well done!

If I needed a cupboard like that, I think I could see how from those pics. Nice project, and you got what you wanted! Win-win!

Cheers

John (hammer)

I also like the way it looks. "Neat" is the right word, I think. We are going to start our bathroom remodeling soon. I know that it will be a complicated process, mostly because my wife and I have different tastes :) Currently, I'm looking for ideas to meet our requirements and desires. I should say, bath planet reviews turned out to be helpful. But it is always better to learn from the experience of other people. Thanks for sharing!

Back