Modern alternative to Butinox 2 for exterior woodwork

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aesmith

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I need to apply something to the exterior woodwork of the garage, this is a mix of new untreated wood with some existing wood with and without existing paint finish. In the past we've used Butinox 2, a spirit based paint that we could apply to everything from whether planed or sawn. No primer was needed, and when it needed to be refinished after five or six years you just removed anything loose before applying another coat.

This product is now discontinued, and in fact the successor product is also discontinued.

What would be the current recommendation for this work? I guess there may be water based alternatives nowadays but looking at all the products on offer is a bit confusing.

Thanks, Tony S

I believe as a private person u are allowed to buy oil based paints......
I bought my last lot from a place in Glossop nr Stockport...they do post...
Prices were good and I bought in bulk this time but they do or did small quantity's....
Think u need the smaller manufactureres now.....
for rough work like sheds and plywood anything esp for outside use I just used a good red oxide from the above supplier then used a norm coloured oil based paint..
some of the stuff I still have and stood the test of time....
A joiner chappy I knew who made Victorian style windows swore by useing aluminium based metal primer on all his new windows as the modern primers were getting bad........

Similar to the Oil based Dulux above:- Dulux Trade Quick Dry Opaque (tradepaintdirect.co.uk)
I used this on the workshop at my last house. This was tanalised feather edge and sawn boarding along with softwood doors and windows with hardwood sills that had bee green cuprinoled and then aluminium primed. I was so impressed I then used it on the house windows and doors. It is wonderful stuff. On the house I would was everything down a couple of times a year and give one coat about every three years. I never needed to do any repair work and the surface was just showing signs of loosing the sheen of fresh paint. To say it was easy to apply and quick is an understatement. In a weekend I could repaint all of the house windows and doors.

Colin

Cheers. It looks like water based is going to be the way to go. All the products mentioned require a primer, do I read that correctly?

A slight downside is choice of colour. The old Butinox was basically available in brown, so the only decision was dark or light. These new paints are available in every colour under the sun, another choice to be made.

I would advise using a suitable solvent based woodstain. never heard of butinox. but always try and put solvent on solvent. on new stuff water based is great. say sadolin or sikkens. these are pigmented woodstains. classic is thin and penetrates sadolin hi build is thicker and builds quicker. butinox sounds like classic tbh. sikkens does a similar thing with hls and filter 7.

Cheers. Butinox No.2 was what was recommended years and years ago, when we were finishing a mixture of old and new, sawn and planed wood. Just put the same stuff over everything so it all ended up the same colour. This may be a terminology thing but when people say "stain" I think of a non-opaque coating which changes the colour. What I'm looking for is something opaque.

Back