Model ship build

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well that was a bit of a c**k up.

I didn't see properly where I had got up to, and repeated a section that I had previously already written about.
Same pics (sitting in a folder) and similar text too!

Doh !

So, winding forward a bit now then....

(whooshing sound)

So, the first layer of planking - which is a relatively thick soft wood - is now done. The bow needs to be filled in though.

083a - start of the bow.jpg

This is done using solid balsa blocks, which are stuck into position (I used PVA glue) and then sanded. As its almost all convex, this isn't too difficult.

083b - start of the bow.jpg

84-b - The sanded box - balsa.jpg

The back end of the boat is trickier, as its concave. Side to side planking is added, which is simple, but getting the curve right on the hull itself is tricky.

However, the instructions do talk about then using filler - so I exploited that somewhat, both to fill the gaps between the soft wood planking, and also to help with the transition at the stern.

84 - Stern - pre-sanding.jpg

The rest of the hull gets a light filling and sanding too - which all seems a bit like cheating to me, and pointless, seeing as there is going to be a second layer of planking anyway.

Still, that's what the instructions say.

85 - Smoothed over.jpg

So, the second layer of planking is a dark wood (I think its Sapelli) veneer - very thin, and rather dry, so prone to splitting along the grain. Because its thin, it can't be bent sideways at all, but can be easily cut to fit. So this is now more like marquetry than anything else.

86a - Starting veneer planking layer.jpg

86b - On its way. Double upper line.jpg

86c - gosh this is slow.jpg

86d - Almost done the solid side.jpg

86e - Dark wood done on on side.jpg

Attachments

• 083a - start of the bow.jpg
    083a - start of the bow.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 259
  • 083b - start of the bow.jpg
    083b - start of the bow.jpg
    297.4 KB · Views: 259
  • 84-b - The sanded box - balsa.jpg
    84-b - The sanded box - balsa.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 259
  • 84 - Stern - pre-sanding.jpg
    84 - Stern - pre-sanding.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 258
  • 85 - Smoothed over.jpg
    85 - Smoothed over.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 258
  • 86a - Starting veneer planking layer.jpg
    86a - Starting veneer planking layer.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 257
  • 86b - On its way. Double upper line.jpg
    86b - On its way. Double upper line.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 258
  • 86c - gosh this is slow.jpg
    86c - gosh this is slow.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 258
  • 86d - Almost done the solid side.jpg
    86d - Almost done the solid side.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 258
  • 86e - Dark wood done on on side.jpg
    86e - Dark wood done on on side.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 258
Lons: thanks for the pointer - I have bought those from ebay, £2.99 with free PP.
I'm sure they will come in handy, although I've got to find somewhere to put them.
(At which point I may well find I had one already :).

A little PVA glue in the gaps, and a little sanding, will make a nice surface, but I don’t want to over sand – its thin enough to start with. So I end up sanding spare (hopefully spare) sapelli veneer, and use that where I can. But the end result is nice.

86f - reasonably smooth too.jpg

Then onto the other side. This is a little more tricky, as its the open side, so I have to create lines along the opening.

86h - starting the second side.JPG

86j - around the hole.JPG

86k - Progressing.jpg

This is a long haul – Ooooo – A nautical term!

86m - And so it goes on.jpg

86p - getting there.JPG

When sanding the back, I did find there was quite a lot of breakup of the ends. Annoying.

86q - annoying breakout - lots to fix.JPG

But after several weeks (!), its pretty much there.

86r.jpg

86s.jpg

Attachments

• 86f - reasonably smooth too.jpg
    86f - reasonably smooth too.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 245
  • 86h - starting the second side.JPG
    86h - starting the second side.JPG
    232.8 KB · Views: 245
  • 86j - around the hole.JPG
    86j - around the hole.JPG
    254.7 KB · Views: 245
  • 86k - Progressing.jpg
    86k - Progressing.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 245
  • 86m - And so it goes on.jpg
    86m - And so it goes on.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 245
  • 86p - getting there.JPG
    86p - getting there.JPG
    262.8 KB · Views: 245
  • 86q - annoying breakout - lots to fix.JPG
    86q - annoying breakout - lots to fix.JPG
    238.1 KB · Views: 245
  • 86r.jpg
    86r.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 246
  • 86s.jpg
    86s.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 246
Onward to the rest of the planking.

Above the dark veneer line is a further veneer that is painted blue. Apparently it really was like that.
This wood is painted before it is mounted on the boat. That way you get a clean transition from the wood colour to the blue.
87c.jpg

87f.jpg

And round the bow too.
87g.jpg

Then come apply the ‘strikers’. These are the sections of timber which the boat strikes other boats with, or when it ties up along side. There are a number of parallel ones of these. Tricky getting them to follow the line parallel to the veneer, so some upward tension needs to be put in place. In the end I glued them at the bow first, let that set, and then worked my way around, applying the necessary upward force to get them to follow the line I wanted. Elastic was used to hold some blocks in place with elastic - which allows more pressure to be applied to the strikers than if the elastic was just wrapped around the hull form.
All PVA glue still, but starting to think seriously about using super glue at this point.
97a - strikers.jpg

99a - Second layer striker.jpg

At this point the tern gets ‘filled in’ with the Transom. This was a piece of laser cut ply, so not difficult to fit. It gets lined inside and outside with the thick planking.
100 - Stern Transom.jpg

101 - Lining stern transom.jpg

Then the hatches are lined with some dark wood.
105 - hatch lining.jpg

After which the hatch is made, and fitted with tiny ring and eyes
106a - hatch and fittings.jpg

106b - Hatch done.jpg

Attachments

• 87c.jpg
    87c.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 179
  • 87f.jpg
    87f.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 179
  • 87g.jpg
    87g.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 179
  • 97a - strikers.jpg
    97a - strikers.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 177
  • 99a - Second layer striker.jpg
    99a - Second layer striker.jpg
    269.8 KB · Views: 177
  • 100 - Stern Transom.jpg
    100 - Stern Transom.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 176
  • 101 - Lining stern transom.jpg
    101 - Lining stern transom.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 176
  • 105 - hatch lining.jpg
    105 - hatch lining.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 176
  • 106a - hatch and fittings.jpg
    106a - hatch and fittings.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 176
  • 106b - Hatch done.jpg
    106b - Hatch done.jpg
    313.2 KB · Views: 176
Great work Ian and welcome to retirement :)
The model is beautifully detailed. It took me back to when I was a nipper and would visit the model ships exhibition in Sunderland Museum. (Wonder if it's still there?)
Pete

Another week, another tube of superglue.

Actually not, I found some really good micro nozzles on amazon, which even when left open, don't cause / allow the super glue to go hard.

Anyway, the next stage is to start working on the finish of the top deck. The waterways are a line around where the deck meets with the vertical, which is a hard wood square cross section secured all the way around. The gallants rails are the handholds, and finally the gun holes are lined.
107 - waterways.jpg

107a - rear gallant rails.jpg

107b - rear gallant rail done.jpg

110 - Front gallant rails.jpg

111 - Lined gun holes.jpg

So far, the bow has been ‘smooth’, but now is the time to apply what would in a real boat be a far more integral part of the construction, but here it is applied as an add-on.
Its stained ply, that is precut, and hopefully the correct curve, which given all I’ve done to bodge the boat as it has grown, is a tall order, but its not too bad.
Similarly, the keel is stained and stuck on, in more than one piece, as is the stern – the part which will be on the inside of the rudder.
112 - the bow (ply).jpg

113a - keel.jpg

113b - keel.jpg

113c Keel and stern done.jpg

Attachments

• 107 - waterways.jpg
    107 - waterways.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 159
  • 107a - rear gallant rails.jpg
    107a - rear gallant rails.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 159
  • 107b - rear gallant rail done.jpg
    107b - rear gallant rail done.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 159
  • 110 - Front gallant rails.jpg
    110 - Front gallant rails.jpg
    327.2 KB · Views: 159
  • 111 - Lined gun holes.jpg
    111 - Lined gun holes.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 159
  • 112 - the bow (ply).jpg
    112 - the bow (ply).jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 160
  • 113a - keel.jpg
    113a - keel.jpg
    286 KB · Views: 160
  • 113b - keel.jpg
    113b - keel.jpg
    298.3 KB · Views: 160
  • 113c Keel and stern done.jpg
    113c Keel and stern done.jpg
    334.3 KB · Views: 159
The rudder is really tricky, as it is hinged using small lengths of bent brass, riding on pins. The hinges themselves are stuck to the ply, but pin heads are used to make it look like it look like the hinges are bolted. I’m now firmly in super glue land – clearly PVA won’t do this kind of work well.

Getting the hinges parallel was surprisingly tricky, and it looks much better on one side than the other. Still, only I will notice, I hope.
The cut outs are for the other side of the hinge (the part glued and pinned onto the hull). The hinge pins are glued into the rudder, so that it can hang onto the hinges attached to the boat, and hopefully the weight of the rudder will keep it in place.
Hopefully.
114a - rudder.jpg

114b - rudder with first hinge.jpg

114c - rudder, all hinges.jpg

Attachments

• 114a - rudder.jpg
    114a - rudder.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 157
  • 114b - rudder with first hinge.jpg
    114b - rudder with first hinge.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 156
  • 114c - rudder, all hinges.jpg
    114c - rudder, all hinges.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 156
Next stage is very pretty. The bit at the back is going to be well glammed with some lazer cut brass fixtures.

The kit includes a single sheet, which contains both a set of 4 windows, and also some outline, which represents gold painted wood.
They all need to be carefully cut free though.
117a - apron.jpg

First in go the windows, which I super glued into place. then the outer piece. By now I realise that thick / viscous super glue has its place for this model, more so (at this stage) than the thing flowing / wicking super glue.
118a - Apron windows.jpg

118b - Apron in place.jpg

Painted hard wood strake is glued across the painted blue surface, together with side strikes. The side strikes need to be cut into the yellow painted horizontal pieces of wood, which isn’t difficult with a little model knife. Made a bit of a mess of the back with some of the glue emerging at the top, but a little trimming (after this picture) helped it look better.
121 - transom done.jpg

119 - Side strakes.jpg

Now, some internal fitments.
The kit comes with some pre-made barrels, which just need to be painted to look a little better. It turned out that painting just in the cut slots, was very tricky, so having failed miserably on one of them, I resorted to using a black fine felt pen / marker instead.
Also need to make some bales. That is done using some supplied fabric, which is used to wrap around some blocks of wood, and then tied up.
126a - Bales and barrels.jpg

These are stuck into the boat, and form one of the points of interest in the cut-away side of the boat.
A little artistic arrangement and Bob is your father’s brother.
126b - bales and barrels in place.jpg

Final part for this stage is the mounting of the Capstan(providing serious pulling power), and hand rails down the central part of the boat. I’ve always thought that the capstan was used to raise the anchor, but from the arrangement here, that doesn’t seem to be the case.

128b - Capstan and hand rails.jpg

Last edited:
The Tiller and belay pins

This is formed from some pre-cut ply, which slots and glues together, before being clad with thin white strips of wood for the walls, and darker strips for the roof parts.
129a - Tiller housing.jpg

129b - Tiller housing cladding.jpg

This houses the tiller, which is connected down to the rudder.

This is the point at which tiny little blocks are used to redirect rope runs, and also to provide mechanical advantage when used as blocks/tackle combination.

The blocks are really tiny. Most are pre-drilled with a single hole, but some have two. Some are square, some round. There are several hundred of these in the kit (indeed, 261 of the type I’m using at this time)

130a - Blocks and things - so small, so many.jpg

Here are a couple used with the tiller. The pink background is a cutting mat, marked with 1cm squares, for scale.

131 - The tiller with tackle.jpg

Also included are some brass pins with pre-formed rings on the end. These are able be be inserted into holes that need drilling into, at this time, the deck and a few on the tiller itself, which you can see above.

Mind you, drilling <1mm holes is not easy. Managed to buy a package of little drills bits (from 0.75mm → 2mm) and a tiny hand held drill – for under £10.

130b - Tiny drilling.jpg

Here is the tiller, now rigged through some desk mounted pins/blocks to the wheel used to move the tiller.

132b - Tiller rigged to wheel.jpg

Next are constructed and mounted the belay pins, to which the sail sheets (ropes) will be tied.

The pins themselves are pre-formed, but the rails are made from scratch. Here is a small one, which is to be mounted on the deck

134b - Main pin rail.jpg

Long runs of pins are also mounted to the hand rails on each side of the boat.

135a - back view.jpg

Attachments

• 130b - Tiny drilling.jpg
    130b - Tiny drilling.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 0
  • 130a - Blocks and things - so small, so many.jpg
    130a - Blocks and things - so small, so many.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 131 - The tiller with tackle.jpg
    131 - The tiller with tackle.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: