Mobile workbench design-swapout SCMS, grinder, router table?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a4536346886

Reaction score
Hi all, 1st post here, but have lurked for a long time.

I'm planning a mobile workbench/saw station that will live in the middle of our garage, and that I can roll around outside to where-ever I need it. I already have a large static bench in the garage, but I'd like something mobile. Here's what I have in mind, made using mainly 2" x 4" pressure treated C24 lengths timber, and 18mm OSB3. Joints would be mostly pocket screw using a Kreg jig.

I also want to be able to "swap out" the SCMS for a router table, and possibly a bench grinder, and I want to massively improve the dust collection.

The SCMS tray would sit on the lower 2" x 4" mount. The router table would sit on the upper 2" x 4" mount.

I have not used a router table before, so had thought of making a basic one to start with. ie. a hole in a square piece of OSB3 with some hardboard on top.

I've shown a sliding dust tray to catch anything that falls down through the saw/router. This would be heavier dust that wasn't sucked up by the hood.

The width of the SCMS tray is around 500mm. Depth of the workbench is around 600mm.

Looking for any suggestions on anything I might have missed, or improvements. I do need to build a fence for the router table, not quite sure how I'm going to do that yet.

Cheers.

WORKBENCH.png

WORKBENCH2.png

WORKBENCH3.png

WORKBENCH4.png

WORKBENCH5.png

Attachments

• WORKBENCH.png
    WORKBENCH.png
    110 KB · Views: 1,478
  • WORKBENCH2.png
    WORKBENCH2.png
    84.7 KB · Views: 1,478
  • WORKBENCH3.png
    WORKBENCH3.png
    74.6 KB · Views: 1,478
  • WORKBENCH4.png
    WORKBENCH4.png
    71.9 KB · Views: 1,478
  • WORKBENCH5.png
    WORKBENCH5.png
    60.4 KB · Views: 1,478
Hey, welcome!

Cool project! A few thoughts :

The dust port on the SCMS shroud is too high to be effective. I'd recommend moving it to either the bottom of the back.

Don't forget to leave enough room to attach the hose to the top of the cyclone - sometimes it can stick out a bit, especially if you need to use an adapter.

What's holding up your wing extensions?

Have you considered having only two casters on the base, and two solid legs? Would be much more stable.

You might also want to consider something more robust than pockethole screws to give more structural strength

Looking forward to seeing progress!

Have a look at Ron Paulk's videos on Youtube, especially his mobile woodshop video. Similar concept and might give you some ideas.

Hi MattRoberts,

Dustport is there so it doesn't snag when the shroud is folded back against the back of the cabinet with the hose still connected. I will probably move it to the base instead.

I havent used a cyclone before, but I've got a Dust Commander DLX waiting to install in this bench. I also have a Lidl Ash vac cannister. I am hoping to use the metal bucket as the cyclone base. Does it matter how big or small the bucket is, or whether the cyclone is mounted off centre? I think this will fit in the space.

Not sure yet about the wing extensions, probably a support strut that comes out from the bench and locks into the wing to make a triangle. Or a saw horse like in the videos Hexus mentioned.

The bench will be quite heavy when loaded up so I think I'll need the 4 castors. I can always add drop-down feet if necessary.

Hexus, thanks for the pointer, I watched some of the videos. I suspect I need to get the 1st version of this bench made before I know what I really want!

Cheers

a4536346886":v0srjcqe said:
I havent used a cyclone before, but I've got a Dust Commander DLX waiting to install in this bench. I also have a Lidl Ash vac cannister. I am hoping to use the metal bucket as the cyclone base. Does it matter how big or small the bucket is, or whether the cyclone is mounted off centre? I think this will fit in the space.

The bucket size doesn't matter other than determining how often you need to empty it!

It also won't make much difference if you mount the DLX off centre.

The only concern I had was the fairly non-standard port sizes on the DLX. Mine required a bunch of waste pipe fittings so that I could hook it up to my vac - see pic :

c9a88951c75f0de0df34ceb81bbeed37.jpg

However I'd be the first to admit there might be a more elegant way to hook things up! Let me know if you find a better way :)

I've just tried some 1.5" pool/pond solvent weld pipe which fitted into the cyclone well enough. I could solvent weld it straight into the cyclone but will start with a duct tape seal just in case I change my mind.

So I'll plan to use that rigid piping as much as possible with pool hose on the end where flexibiltiy is needed.

In fact I'll probably put a Tee and 2 ball valves on the input to the vac so that I can switch the airflow from the saw to a normal vac hose via a bulkhead fitting. That means I don't have to fiddle disconnecting pipes when changing from mitre saw to normal floor cleaner wand. It also gives a convenient switch over to a hose for other things like circular saws/sanders etc.

Hopefully start this weekend.

You'll want a fence for the scms as well so it would be worth making it suitably adjustable for use when routing or using scms.
As Matt said, move the dust port down.
Design in drop down feet before you start as you'll need them and it's easier to build them in now.
I'd avoid pocket hole screws for this and go with chunky great screws or coach bolts plus glue to make sure it's not going to rack or wobble.
Might be worth adding levellers to the feet so you can make it level and stable in different locations.
Instead of a dust drawer,I'd make it a dust chamber with an extraction port in the bottom plus opening door on the back.
Once you've built the first, the second will be much better for you

Adam9453":17c9k75x said:
Design in drop down feet before you start as you'll need them and it's easier to build them in now.

Sounds like a good idea. I did a quick search and found Brauer floor locks, but couldn't find them easily available. Any suggestions? I have 100mm castors with a 70kg loading each.

I'd avoid pocket hole screws for this and go with chunky great screws or coach bolts plus glue to make sure it's not going to rack or wobble.

I have Gorilla Glue, and 6mm x 100mm goldscrew screws. Would that be ok? Is that better than pocket hole + glue?

Might be worth adding levellers to the feet so you can make it level and stable in different locations.
do the floor locks come with these, or is this something extra?

Instead of a dust drawer,I'd make it a dust chamber with an extraction port in the bottom plus opening door on the back.
I hadn't considered this. So the whole of the underside of the saw/router table is at negative pressure? Any links to an example?

Once you've built the first, the second will be much better for you
Yeah... That's why I didn't want to use glue on this one!

Adam, thanks for the ideas.

Is this better as a dust chamber? Why opening on the back rather than the front?

WORKBENCHv2a.png

WORKBENCHv2b.png

Attachments

• WORKBENCHv2a.png
    WORKBENCHv2a.png
    134.4 KB · Views: 1,240
  • WORKBENCHv2b.png
    WORKBENCHv2b.png
    79 KB · Views: 1,240
Back