Mobile wheeel base

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lumberman

Established Member
Reaction score
After a lot of deliberation I have decided to go for the Metabo 260 planer thicknesser. My problem is that i do not have a lot of room in my garage , and need to move the machine into a corner when I have finished, hence the need for a set of wheels. I see that Axminster do a mobile wheelbase but the only way of making things stable is by locking the wheels.
would this afford enough stability when the machine is in actual use? can anyone advise please.
Also does anyone have the Metabo and what are the pros and cons. I would be grateful for any advice.

Harry.

I made a base for mine out of a wooden base and some rubber tyred castors from machine mart.
Works a treat.

Rod

The base at Axminster for £40 looks the same as the Dakota one from Rutlands at the same price. I've got one of those and while the enclosed wheels do stay on the floor the ones with the levers either raise the whole frame [at that end] or rest out of the way with the adjustable feet on the floor taking the weight. Mine is sufficiently stable on my AW12BSB2.

My Scheppach p/t is on one of the Scheppach bases, but it's the same as the Dakota etc. mobile base and is moved from it's 'resting' place each time I need it; no problems.

Tony Comber

Hi Harry, Metabo do a wheel kit themselves http://www.dm-tools.co.uk/product.php/sn/MET911003783

There is also a few kits on Ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/METABO-WHEEL- ... 5add64b739

The kit consists of 2 front wheels and is lifted and moved by tilting the bar which you already have on the rear of your P/T http://www.angliatoolcentre.co.uk/metab ... teid=29553

I have a Elektra Beckum 260 which is the same model as yours but I bought it before Metabo took them over.
I have found it to be very easy to use and although it is fairly expensive IMHO it is worth the money.

HTH

Cheers

Mike

Harbo":2gnp62ro said:
I made a base for mine out of a wooden base and some rubber tyred castors from machine mart.
Works a treat.

Rod

I also made a base to sit my electra beckhum on with locking castors that I bought from a boot fair,works a treat.

i have four of these, got first one for £149 with my scheppach planer.

then i saw them on offer at Ruts, and found they were exactly the same as the scheppach one!! and were only £29 on sale.

got 3and nev looked back. use on floor atanding bandsaw, large planer/thicknesser, router table and tablesaw, and they dont move once locked.

I've got 2 of the Axi bases, one for the bandsaw and one for the P/T.

I find that they work well. The wheels at one end are fixed. At the other end are castors that raise and lower. There are also adjustable feet at the castor end so that, when the castors are raised, that end sits on the adjustable feet.

The whole thing is very stable and very easy to move as well.

Back