Mobile Sash Window....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcus

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello! I've got a sash window which is going walk about ... or at least one corner of it is. The frame has somehow shifted back wards at least an inch in that corner, leaving a big gap between it and the brickwork and dislodging the plaster on the inside. Can't seen any sign of movement in the brickwork. How would you fix it?

IMG_1250.jpg

IMG_1251.jpg

Hello! I've got a sash window which is going walk about ... or at least one corner of it is. The frame has somehow shifted back wards at least an inch in that corner, leaving a big gap between it and the brickwork and dislodging the plaster on the inside. Can't seen any sign of movement in the brickwork. How would you fix it?

View attachment 119389

View attachment 119390
It's the ratchet effect - a loose fit and gap appears which gets filled. It appears again and gets filled again and slowly pushes it out of place
The remedy is to take the whole window out as a unit, clear all the mortar and other rubbish, and reinstall it. Quite easy to do, take the sashes out first and then the frame.

There may be a cause, such as rubble dropping from above into the starter crack which will only ever widen as more stuff drops in. So you might have to look around and remedy something else - lintel etc
Or cavity wall ties gone, and it slowly turns into a bigger job!
Have a nice weekend!

I bet one of the wedges holding the cill in has come adrift.or the cill rotted. take it out rebed and Wang a wedge or 3 in.

Back