Mobile phones.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Who's in charge; the person owning the mobile phone or the mobile phone?
Looking around these days I would say that there are an awful lot of phone zombies out there who have become slaves to the phone, walking along the street staring at that little screen as if their lives depended upon it, without noticing their surroundings or other people and not realising they are just wasting there lives living in the make believe world of unsocial media.

Odd question.
Understandable if your 'phone has been annoying you; but, you say you don't use one.
:unsure:

There are some places where mobile phones don't work at all.............. 2G, 3G.... 4G, 5G........ some of us don't have any G.

Something to do with money, infrastructure (or the lack of it) I'd expect!

My mobile phone thinks it's in charge keeps telling me to turn down the volume of my headphones, then even has the bloody cheek to turn them down. If you see a cyclist stopped looking at his phone telling it to f**k off. That will be me!! I still wouldn't be without one now. I know it pointless shouting at a phone, but I always feel better after 😂 :ROFLMAO::LOL:

These things are just the begining for AI and the IOT, you may think you are in charge but don't be fooled as they open a window into a dark world of addiction and reliance which will hook you and then you will spend less and less time doing what you like and spending time in your workshop and just stare blankly at the screen mesmorised by nothing.

My 'mobile communication device' is important to me, just not as a telephone. Just checked my calls. I had one incoming from my brother-in-law a week ago today. The one previous to that was also him two weeks previous to that. But, I do use it extensively throughout the day, mainly as my audiobook player, a calculator by Bluetooth, photographing something before I take it apart so I know how to re-assemble it. Mapping my runs and to follow a route when hiking. The only social media applications I have are Instagram with a very restricted 'friends' circle and WhatsApp messages keeps me in touch with friends and groups. I don't even come to this site until I'm in front of a computer. I'm the gaffer of this pocket computer/camera/calculator/GPS.

Hi,

Many thanks guys for your interesting replies. The video is very funny indeed; the lady at 1:26 falling over the planter hardly lost contact with her mobile phone.

Odd question.
Understandable if your 'phone has been annoying you; but, you say you don't use one.

Thanks Daniel2. I don't need a mobile phone of my own for one of these to annoy me. ;)

Years ago I did buy a dash cam because it's assumed motorists are always to blame for accidents. Everywhere I go it appears mobile phones have taken over so many lives. Before retiring twenty years ago I was in charge of three departments each department having an office; between the offices there were five phones; three external and two internal; these weren't enough so I also had a pager and when colleagues were off site I could end up with three pagers to make my life a misery. I think I might be a bit biased regarding all phones; I'm not dead against mobile phones but I don't understand the need to have one welded to an ear.

Kind regards, Colin.

Sounds like the never ending search for the G spot..😉😉😉😉

Yes......both figuratively and literally so!

There are some odd corners in this part of the signal-less county where a freakish fragment of a couple of bars on the dial allows a connection.
You can always spot them by the cars parked there with people on the blower to whomever......

That's the G-spot, dear boy! (y)

Yes......both figuratively and literally so!

There are some odd corners in this part of the signal-less county where a freakish fragment of a couple of bars on the dial allows a connection.
You can always spot them by the cars parked there with people on the blower to whomever......

That's the G-spot, dear boy! (y)
Sounds like the dogging community in action lol.

Hi,

Just an irrelevant question because I don't use a mobile phone.

Kind regards, Colin.

every single notification on my phone is off other than the one that goes when someone actually calls it. When that happens, it rings.

It's lovely. I don't know if I'm getting emails, I don't know if there's a weather issue, I don't get notifications of coupons or any other nonsense. Sometimes I check email when I feel like it. If I pick the phone up later and have missed a call but don't see a VM and don't recognize the number, then I wipe the number off to the side and that's the end of that.

(also turn the ringer off when I'm running errands unless I literally know at some point, I'm to be called home to take the kids somewhere. My spouse has a bad habit of calling constantly when I'm out running errands to add things on or interrupt - all the time - so I pretend like it's 1982 and turn the ringer off so that I complete the errands and if something else needs to be done, I find out when getting home. Quite often "well, it's not important enough to make a special trip". Of course, it was only imminent for the two minutes after it popped into your head, and as I was running around the borg with two hands full - one holding something and the other turning a container over to read it, I'd have to put everything down to get a phone call that is aggravating to begin with - one that wasn't important enough to leave a VM over).

My FIL had a smart trick for years - the mrs. and the kids needed a phone. He got a four user "share plan", but he's number five and conveniently uses the mrs. cell phone if he was with her or she was home and he was. The three kids were only too happy to get a free phone to take up the remaining three. When he ran errands, he was unreachable. This was intentional. I married his daughter and convinced her that she should have her own phone as you have to grow up at some point -this put a phone back in his hands, which he didn't favor that much.

When we're visiting and he and I are running errands ourselves to escape demands, I tell my wife that she should call me if they change plans - this works well because she forgets that I don't have the ringer on when we're running errands. FIL leaves his phone in the car because they're to "call me". They always leave a voicemail or text and we find it later in plenty of time for when we actually need it.

Those of a certain age will recall that life did exist when phones could only be found in red boxes and you may have had to que if you wanted to use it, when you wanted to find out what your freinds were doing you performed a strange exercise called walking and actually knocked on their door and people wrote letters to family and companies if seeking information, no trawling the internet. They also travelled around the country and used paper maps, not wiggly worms on a display screen and all this exercised the body and brain.

Those of a certain age will recall that life did exist when phones could only be found in red boxes and you may have had to que if you wanted to use it, when you wanted to find out what your freinds were doing you performed a strange exercise called walking and actually knocked on their door and people wrote letters to family and companies if seeking information, no trawling the internet. They also travelled around the country and used paper maps, not wiggly worms on a display screen and all this exercised the body and brain.
And they miss out on the fun to be had when you had a party line and could eaves drop on the conversation.
When I told a teenage nephew we had a party line, he thought it was some sort of dating app.

Back