Mobile phones Updates

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amateur

Established Member
Reaction score
I've searched all over.
Been in phone shops.
Been in EE store with a simple question which no one can answer for me.

Samsung announced that their mobile phones would now have four years of security updates.
All I want to know is when does that four years start ?
Is it from the launch date of a new phone?
Or if the model you buy is two years old from launch date, but brand new and still in the current range, will you only get two years of updates?

Or does it start from point of sale regardless of the launch date and you get the full 4 years of security updates?

Or is it something completely different?

Can anyone give a definitive answer please?

Yes it's from the product launch. I've worked for mobile manufacturers and the network operators and studies show that the normal life of a handset is 18 months - 2 years so my guess is that the 4 years is considered as twice the 'normal' lifespan of a handset. (Yes, I know - throwaway society. A lot of handsets are sold on contracts and when they expire people get themselves a new handset)

I have used Google’s smart phones since they launched. Since January this year I have been using my wife’s old iPhone 8 Plus that was launched in September 2017 and is using the most up to date iOS. Security updates are the only reason why I would continue with an iPhone. My daughter’s old iPhone 5s launched in 2013 had the latest software up until last year when I got rid of it. I have always known Apple products are good but avoided them and this 4 year old 8 plus hasn’t missed a beat so far

I'm currently using Samsung and it updates the system maybe once a month and after that, it doesn't want to turn on. Is it the issue with Samsung?

No idea, as i an iphone user. I get notifications about the available updates from time to time and always doing it straight away. This time the iphone itself needs to be updates and i am checking website with the used iphones. Anyone purchased an used phone before? Is there any risk, considering the fact that they give 1 year warranty?

Apple seem to do decent deals on refurbished models?

Frends who have gone the above Apple path seem very happy with it so far.

Possibly the big river company too via their warehouse have similar?

Back