Mobile phones for poor signal areas

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DickM was relieved to find a phone that actually worked..... :D

awesome-old-school-mobile-phone-arraycomm-via-aboutdotcom.jpg

Robbo3":4951e092 said:
You might find your local mast locations of some help
- http://www.sitefinder.ofcom.org.uk/search

Thanks - tried that and at least it shows the mast in approximately the right place! Apparently, it uses "Single Operator GSM technology", whatever that means. Operated by Orange, which makes the fact that Vodaphone seems to give slightly better reception even more puzzling.

This will not help, but shows how the signal can change.
I was on holiday near Kidwelly in Wales. I could not find where we were staying, so tried to phone, no signal. I was on the Community centre car park (I think it is). I asked a lady from the centre if she could help? Meaning could she give me directions.
'Which network are you with'? She asked.
O2, I replied a bit puzzled.
'Stand between the door and the end parking bay' Was her advice.
You guessed it, perfect signal.
Rich

I'd go for a Nokia for reception and i don't even use one but even then at our location 3g isn't an option in the city of Nottingham

In the middle of three masts here all on the same network (o2) and yet can't get a 3g signal at all, we have to switch to wi-fi and even then one of the phones in the house has a reputation for not receiving calls,namely a Sony Xperia S, the worst phone that has ever graced our home. Even while out and about cohorts on the same network the Nokia has had signal where the Sony and a Samsung (galaxy ace 2) hasn't. At this moment in time i'm looking to get a new mobile myself and i don't feel there is any point in even getting a smartphone as i know at home i'll hardly be able to use it. I'm finding myself looking at old Motorola as in the past at least they were getting calls in the house. #-o

I don't think that anyone can say for certainty that phone X and provider Y will/will not work in a particular location based on other people's experiences. For starters, the mobile providers can slew the transmission pattern which might miss you completely. Also the coverage maps are a joke. EE recently got their knuckles rapped by Ofcom about this.

Is there not a way to cancel the contract within seven days if the phone does not work?

If your phone can take all networks, it might be worth investing in a 99p payg SIM card for each network.

Stick each one in your phones and go for a wander to see what signal you get.

It might give you a better picture.

JustBen":71tj1ujq said:
If your phone can take all networks, it might be worth investing in a 99p payg SIM card for each network.

Stick each one in your phones and go for a wander to see what signal you get.

It might give you a better picture.

That is a cracking idea. Mind you, it doesn't address how sensitive a particular make and model of phone will be.....sigh..

Back