Mobile machine bases

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichD1

Established Member
Reaction score
I want to make some moveable bases for my mitre saw, drill press and router table but was wondering how good/stable are locking castors on their own when the machines are being used, especially when using the router and larger pieces of wood are being pushed through the cutter. If possible I'd like to avoid the complication of some sort of jacking system to allow the cabinets to sit on feet.

Richard

Need to make something like this for my bandsaw... :-k

I have all my machines ( Bandsaw, Mitre saw, radial arm saw,router table, Big radial arm drill ) on bases or cupboards with 4 inch Axi lockable castors. Absolutely no problems at all so far although inly the front two are ever locked.

Andersonec, what's the heaviest machine you have on those 3" Aldi castors? Load capacity isn't stated, although they look sturdy in the image.

siggy_7":3k2bf0hl said:
Andersonec, what's the heaviest machine you have on those 3" Aldi castors? Load capacity isn't stated, although they look sturdy in the image.

Sorry for the delay.

These things will take about 70 kilo's each so four will take 280 kg, that's nearly 12 bags of cement, I have a planer thicknesser fitted, my router table (very heavy) is also fitted, the Band saw and table saw are also on wheels, in a garage so they have to go away at night.

The two links to the lidl ones which are wide black things will not work in your shop, the smallest piece of dirt or shavings will bring them to a stop.

Axminster have some http://www.axminster.co.uk/catalogsearc ... ?q=castors

Andy

andersonec":1kdzshbj said:
siggy_7":1kdzshbj said:

Sorry for the delay.

These things will take about 70 kilo's each so four will take 280 kg, that's nearly 12 bags of cement, I have a planer thicknesser fitted, my router table (very heavy) is also fitted, the Band saw and table saw are also on wheels, in a garage so they have to go away at night.

The two links to the lidl ones which are wide black things will not work in your shop, the smallest piece of dirt or shavings will bring them to a stop.

Axminster have some http://www.axminster.co.uk/catalogsearc ... ?q=castors

Andy
Yep my castors are from Axi. Never had any probs with any of them. :)

Hi Guys, I've got a hard wood floor, won't those Lidl nylon castors slip? Don't you need a rubber type tread to stop slip?

Richard

RichD1":62g8uwv7 said:
Hi Guys, I've got a hard wood floor, won't those Lidl nylon castors slip? Don't you need a rubber type tread to stop slip?

Richard

I don't think it makes any difference Richard, one pair of castors are fixed and will only move in one direction and when the others are locked they wont move at all, sideways slip would be difficult with all that weight on top and I would have thought there's quite a bit of friction on a used wood floor, it's not that smooth is it?

Andy

RichD1":3omqk3w6 said:

Richard

Rubber non-slip casters WILL give better grip than smooth nylon ones, irrespective of the weight.

Back