Mobile bases..again sort of

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beech1948

Established Member
Reaction score
I was hoping that an engineering type could help me here please.

I have a machine which weighs 100Kg. It has four projecting feet, about 65mm square with a 10mm hole in the cenmtre of each foot. The feet are in a rectangle about 450x600.

Problem. I want to put braked castors on this machine and raise it precisely 73mm. I have found a castor to do this BUT it is rated at 65Kg load only. Does a machine with 4 feet put only 25kg on each foot or do I have to go for 100Kg load per foot.

I hope that is clear. Issue here is not money but getting a 73mm raise in height, whilst being mobile for space reasons, to match my Felder cast iron tables to give me a larger cast iron surface to build someting on that needs to be very flat.

Sorry for long message.

Beech, I would imagine it would be 25kg per corner. But don't take my word for it.....

Noel

Waterhead,
Thanks for advice. I had considered "levelling" castors but my floor is 2 layers of 18mm plys over a further substrate so I hope that the level surface issue is catered for. Brakes on the castor could introduce a complication but one option is for a brake that would work on the swivel and on the wheel which should be Ok as the wheel would be polypropylene which is quite hard.

The advice seems to be 100Kg spread equally over the four feet. I guess its time to have a go and se what happens.

Back