Mixed emotions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alf

Established Member
Reaction score
Sometimes it's very hard to know whether to feel stupid and embarrassed, or pleased and proud.

For the second time in a week, I've contrived to slice open a finger on a freshly sharpened plane blade. The same damn blade, what's more. :roll: So stupid and embarassed goes without saying I s'pose. :oops: But folks, am I crazy to feel a warm glow of pride as I remove the temporary sticking plaster a few minutes later and completely miss with the antiseptic cream 'cos the cut's so darn fine I can't see it? Man, that thing's sharp. :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Stupid, but can can get an edge. :roll:

I'm proud of you lass, you take after your potential adoptive Dad, Grandad(?). I too can slice myself at least once a day and twice on Sundays.

However, you have a ways to go - it's too easy on a sharp blade, my last two embarrassments have been on the arrises of sharp wood! (naturally planed with a sharp blade).

Alf":2lxmsq1h said:
Commiserations Alf! Probably should spend more time concentrating on the tool and less time doing the can can :wink:

Aragorn":jbwmqaw1 said:
Alf":jbwmqaw1 said:
Commiserations Alf! Probably should spend more time concentrating on the tool and less time doing the can can :wink:
Sheesh. :roll: You mean you don't dance about the workshop when you cut yourself...? :wink: :lol: Okay, I admit I neglected to proofread before sending, but I am bleeding here you know. :p

Chris, at least I can comfort myself that there's very little I can do to myself that the parrots can't do worse. I don't think I shared the tale of PJ and his desire to tick me off for daring to go away a week or so ago? Amazing how many pain sensors there seem to be in the human earlobe... :shock: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

It may have been the same plane blade, but was it the same finger?
Isn't it annoying when you don't realise you've cut yourself till you see blood all over the piece of wood you've carefully planed to size, and then have to find where it's come from? Or is it only me?
Hope you get a transfusion soon, Alf.
Regards, John

Commiserations, dear lady. I do hope that your wounds won't prevent the writing of further marvellous reviews.

I, too, have had similar bad luck: in the last ten days, my left index finger has been sliced open by a plane blade, cut to the bone with a tenon saw and caught by a full-revs router bit. It's also been shaved by waterstones and crushed by a hammer.

So, you see, there are those who are far more foolish than you.

Jeremy

You mean you don't dance about the workshop when you cut yourself...?

You got room to dance in yer workshop??

What pampered souls some of us are :roll:

jas":2jfxn71a said:
I, too, have had similar bad luck: in the last ten days, my left index finger has been sliced open by a plane blade, cut to the bone with a tenon saw and caught by a full-revs router bit. It's also been shaved by waterstones and crushed by a hammer.
Yikes. :shock: When did you first start feeling this hatred for your left index finger...?

John (KC), like Jeremy, I started with the left index, but the blade obviously preferred a change of scene and opted for the thumb second time around. :roll: Luckily I wasn't near any vital wood at the time, so no damage done, but I know what you mean about wondering where it's come from. First time round I saw what I thought was a flake of red paint and went to flick it off. :roll:

Cheers, Alf

Off to conga round the workshop just 'cos she can (can). :lol:

Alf,
Condolences on the skin removal :(
I had an "experience" with my japanese smoother one day. Because you pull the plane instead of pushing, I cleared some shavings from the bottom of the sole BUT THE WRONG WAY! That's the problem with habits.......
Took a skin shaving off my finger to be proud of! It was so fine I couldn't believe I had done it, and it certainly didn't hurt when I did. ( Obviously I was using bad plane technique as i forgot to lift at the end, leaving the skin attached to my finger on one end and the shaving up through the mouth. Yum! :lol: )
All the best,
Philly :D

Bit of a long post, but if were talking sharp tools and accidents.......

About 7 years ago I was asked to hang an internal door. No problem.
I usually fit them in the opening and stand back to look at the fit to make sure the gap is even. This time, because the door was in an entrance hall, the draught from the outside door meant the door wouldn't stay put so I held one hand against it while i stood back to check. Fwiiit!!!! (the closest i can get to the sound it made!) My just honed 1 1/2 door hanging chisel that i placed on the table behind me was trapped against something on the table with the edge perfectly in line with my left wrist :shock:
The resulting cut was deep and clean enough so as not to bleed profusely, so I asked for a plaster so that I could finish the job.
Customer was very concerned, saying it needed stitches. Being the trooper i am :D i said i would go once i'd finished. A quick patch up with a Winnie the Pooh plaster and I carried on. Meantime, the concerned customer was phoning the casualty dept of the local hospital, but of course, Sunday? No chance!
Anyway, finished the door and scooted off to a Bristol hospital to see if it needed a bit of sewing.....
Nurse looks and says 'A couple of paper ones will do', then cleans the wound, sees how deep it is and says that a doctor better have a look. He comes, looks and reckons 'You may have nicked a tendon'. I was asked to flex my wrist and he said 'no, it's not nicked, you've sliced right through it.' I was then asked perform all the hand movements to determine which one wouldn't function correctly, but all of them worked :shock:
Somewhat baffled, the doc said one of them shouldn't be functioning.
Of course, there is a rational explanation to this, which I told him.
The village I live in is reknowned for being inbred, therefore, all the villagers have six fingers..... My dad being Scottish, but my mum being local meant that the mould was broken meaning that I have five fingers, but obviously the tendon for the sixth, which must have been the one I cut through.
Telling this to the doctor, he didn't know whether to operate or stick me in the psychiatric ward!
I ended up having an op under general anaesthetic immediately, an overnight stay in hospital and six weeks in plaster........
I now look behind me everytime I step backwards!

Andy

However, you have a ways to go - it's too easy on a sharp blade, my last two embarrassments have been on the arrises of sharp wood! (naturally planed with a sharp blade).

Chris, If I got a Fiver everytime I've done that, I'd have enough for a damned good holiday in Barbados. :D :D

I canna say I've done the sharp injury too often in the shop, although I've lost count of the times I've done that at work; Stanley knives aren't particularly fussy about cutting either insulation or skin...nuff said..

My party piece it the blunt thwack.. best demonstrated when working across the board with either the jack or jointer, overshooting the board sending the fore grip into a little wall hanging rack that houses my screws and sanding pads.. One of these days I'll get around to moving the damn thing outa the way...

Alf

Can't begin to count the number of times I've come in from the garage with blood dripping on the floor form a very clean and very deep cut after sharpening another chisel or plane iron. Occupational hazzard I guess.
Mrs T is a nursing sister and usually just laughs at me but has laid down the follwing dictum:

'if you cut off any fingers (or part of) then all the tools go' She means it too :cry:

Back