Mitutoyo 600mm Vernier Caliper

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably around the right price. I've just bought a 2m vernier in an auction. I'll post a pic when I pick it up!

Cor, it dont matter how big it is, theres always someone with a bigger one!

:shock: :shock: =D> =D>
How in this world do you handle a 2 metre vernier gauge? I expect the apprentice holds one end while the engineer reads the other. :roll: :roll:

Just checked the web site, it appears to be having problems but it looks like the vernier did not sell.
usually that means it will be re auctioned next friday at a lower price

sunnybob":1tfz9bj2 said:
Cor, it dont matter how big it is, theres always someone with a bigger one!

:shock: :shock: =D> =D>
How in this world do you handle a 2 metre vernier gauge? I expect the apprentice holds one end while the engineer reads the other. :roll: :roll:
I've no idea! The price was right though :D There was so much cool stuff in this auction it was very hard to rein it in. Unfortunately its more british manufacturing down the pan though.

I was talking to chap who worked at Holmans (mining engineering) in Camborne before it closed years ago. He was involved in clearing the worshops, some which had been there for the better part of 200 years, and told me one the unusual things they came across was a 108" micrometer. This was the size of the largest pistons they produced. :shock:

I read 600 MM in the OP's headline. That's just a bit more than half a metre (I think)!

I'd like to see (and try and handle) a 108 inch mic though!

2ft.
Have a look what its accuracy tolerence is though.
+- 0,10mm
A 150mm is +- 0,05mm.

A 2m caliper is as much use as a tape measure.
Thats why we build massive mics instead. Assuming the frame is robust you could build one to as big as you like and keep its tolerence pretty damn fine.

The manufacturing world has left big micrometers and calipers sitting in the tool crib in favour of coordinate measuring machines, portable coordinate measuring arms and laser trackers a while back. That is the reason you are seeing manual measuring instruments being sold for low prices they don't need them.

Pete

Inspector":2bl2kf7f said:
The manufacturing world has left big micrometers and calipers sitting in the tool crib in favour of coordinate measuring machines, portable coordinate measuring arms and laser trackers a while back. That is the reason you are seeing manual measuring instruments being sold for low prices they don't need them.

Pete
Don't go saying that Pete, I need to sell it! Can't imagine what a CMM that could measure over 2m would cost? Even small-ish ones go for massive money.

When I retired four years ago we hadn't used the 120" caliber or the 120" inside "stick" pics in over a decade and some were talking of tossing them in the scrap bin. They also wanted to do the same to the 40" and 60" inch calipers too. We only had a 150 (a third management :roll: ) people in our Canadian plant but had a couple CMM's that were measuring parts up to 100" long and anyone CMM with a table big enough to accommodate parts 200" long. There was also a laser tracker and a portable arm that cost in the neighbourhood of a couple hundred thousand over a decade ago. The laser tracker was capable of measuring 0.0001" within a 30' radius and had a working radius of over 100'. The arm had a working radius of 8'. Newer toys are capable of even more. They aren't a small company tool but there are companies that will come to the job and measure things for you. They are not cheap but that's what modern manufacturing requires.

Pete

All very interesting Pete, but I still wonder how one uses/used, for example, a 108 inch mic? I bet you don't just stick yer little finger in the frame then use the thumb and forefinger of the same hand to twiddle the barrel!!!

Same with using an "N Feet" long vernier calliper eh?

(I remember when my Dad was first teaching me the rudiments of using a mic - I must have been about 10. "No boy, use yer loaf, DON'T tighten the thing up like it's a bloody G cramp, it's a precision measuring instrument fer Chrissake!").

(And if yer up for a bit more thread drift, the German name for a vernier calliper is "Schiebelehre", which directly translates into "sliding teacher")!

When you have measuring tools that big you would have a partner to work with and a complete understanding of all the variables that would affect the readings, like temperatures.

Pete

As promised, picture of the absurd vernier. I've included a 670mm one and 150mm just to give it a sense of scale!
552a2b380670294e66cd3d91440f4aa6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Mmmmm, just reminded me of the (3ft?) wooden one I have somewhere and I'm sure I have a Chesterman the same length (3ft)
Cheers Andy

TFrench":32ug3q4y said:
As promised, picture of the absurd vernier. I've included a 670mm one and 150mm just to give it a sense of scale!

Surely if you're working on such a massive scale of project a tape measure would suffice? :p

Trevanion":39ej76to said:
TFrench":39ej76to said:

Surely if you're working on such a massive scale of project a tape measure would suffice? :p
We all work on stuff like this as hobbyists. Don't we?
engine-flatbed.jpg
crankshaft3.jpg
crankshaft.jpg

Latest posts

Back