Mitre saws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andycktm

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm about to buy a mitre saw and fancy either the sip 255mm sliding mitre saw or ryobi ems2025scl.Has anybody got one? or any useful comment's.
What i do need to know is has the ryobi got a blade brake?,apparently the sip has.
Thank's.

andycktm":207y5ztf said:
Hi,
I'm about to buy a mitre saw and fancy either the sip 255mm sliding mitre saw or ryobi ems2025scl.Has anybody got one? or any useful comment's.
What i do need to know is has the ryobi got a blade brake?,apparently the sip has.
Thank's.

Hi Andy,

Generally only mitre saws with an induction motor will have an actual brake mechanism. If they have a brush/universal motor then it's friction that slows the blade down. Apparently it's all down to Health & safety laws which state that in a working environment the blade must stop within 8 seconds. Either way you shouldn't be able to buy a saw where the blade continues to run after you turn it off.

Andy

I'm not familiar with the saws you mention, but I recently purchased an axminster sliding mitire saw and the blade stops very rapidly, it's a strong unit and feels safe using it.

Althought some of the components on it are quite cheaply made, the saw itself is accurate and powerful, so this may be another option for you. It also has a laser sight.

Eventually, i'll write a review on it.

Cheer's,
i've actually rung sip and been told their model does have a brake but i've been told second hand that the ryobi also has a brake.They said ryobi support told them.
Does anyone know the contact number for ryobi uk.
Thank's

Thank's Neil, been in touch with ryobi their gona let me know tomorrow when somebody at ryobi find's out! :shock:

Just spoke to ryobi ,they say it's got a brake.Also they say it's now law on new saw's to have them.
Must say i've seen quite a few saw's with them on lately,even £70-00 ones.So its proberbly getting very close to law to have one on.
Thank's

andycktm":2qzmjlyb said:
Just spoke to ryobi ,they say it's got a brake.Also they say it's now law on new saw's to have them.
Must say i've seen quite a few saw's with them on lately,even £70-00 ones.So its proberbly getting very close to law to have one on.
Thank's

Yep, by law the blade has to stop within either 7 or 8 seconds.

That's one hell of a brake!! I've an old shed i've had 5 year's (mitre saw)and that stop's within 7 second's without a brake.

Just bought the ryobi ems2025scl and it has got a brake ,the blade stop's in less than 2 seconds.
Thank's

Back