mitre saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

selly

Established Member
Reaction score
ok I've been given a hitachi mitre saw. Problem - no blade guard and the handle is a bit broken when you press down.

It is a really really good cut and it seems a shame to throw it away but i don't want to get in too much of a fix. Is the blade guard an absolute prerequiste for such a saw - even if just for hobby use by me with protective glasses on?

Any ideas to do up the handle - I may make a replacement.

Or should she go in the skip?

I hate throwing things away but no blade guard on a mitre saw sounds scary. Have you checked with Hitachi about the availability of spares? It might be possible to get it running safely for a smallish cash outlay.

i've used a sliding mitre saw with about a blade guard before but never again it gave me the willys every time i used it. with a tool like a chop saw you should be sure every time its safe before using one. i'd look into new guard, and repair or patch up handle. Can't cost a much as time off work because you choped you finger off. :wink:

pete

Hi

It's a definite NO! without a guard, just not worth the hassle and when you use something like that- it rubs off on you, to do the things that you would not normally in a situation that needs complete safety control.

I have a Mitre saw makita ls1011 where the alloy arm just broke by the the spring holder, and yes I could not get the part- so it's in bits and I hate to say or do it but I shall have to throw it away.

Amrik

That's one of those scenarios where you can get away with it a thousand times, but 1001 can be very nasty indeed!
Fingers may not be essential, but they are useful.

Roy.

Hi Selly,
While you have been given an excellent mitre saw, i think it is one of the most dangerous machines to use without a blade guard.
As suggested Hitachi should be able to supply a new guard.
HTH
Gary

I recently changed the blade on my mitre saw. I had some difficulty replacing the guard and thought ahh...blow it. I made one cut with it and scared my self witless when my hand came dangerously close to the rapidly rotating blade, when removing the wood. That was enough for me, I spent a further hour fiddling to get the guard back on, but I figure it was time very well spent.

I have used a big dewalt 12in CS with out the gaurd....scared the...out of me particularly when you are cutting compound angles.

I have got a Metabo KGS 305 and its a beast it can even be scary with the gaurd!:0(

Back