Mitre saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Wullie

Reaction score
Hi all new guy here looking for some advise on a new mitre saw. Nearly completed a garden type room for our rescue bunnies and my saw has packed in no harm to it was a cheap evolution one bought many moons ago. My next project is going to be a 4.2m x 3.6m workshop so what I buy will get plenty of use and I’ve also got a few projects in mind. I was looking at the evolution again but think I’ll go for a different brand It will be a sliding mitre I’m looking to purchase concerned about the room required with the slides being out the back but as most are like that I’ll need to get used to it.
I did look at the dewalt dws774 also the metabo kgs254 and a Bosch 8 something or other. So just a bit of advice and I’ll see about getting some pictures of the bunny mansion as my neighbour calls it uploaded.

I upgraded my broken evolution with a Bosch, very happy with the saw :)

I sometimes wish I had spent more and gone for the Bosch with the folding (rather than sliding) arms to reduce the depth of the saw.

I have the DeWalt 773. I'm certain that I would have been happy with the performance and build of the Bosch but the thing that swayed me was that I only have a narrow workshop and saving or making space is important. So, not having the bars sticking out the back of the saw and being able to push the saw trolley closer to the wall saves me around 200mm or more. Also, the shadow line is accurate for the majority of cuts I make.

i bought a cordless milwaukee, as i have to lug it up and down my garden for a big decking project. My garden is like a ski slope. I have been happy with it so far. Its nice not trailing a 30m extension cord through the bushes. Wish it wasnt so heavy mind you still.
Not sure i will be keeping it after the project as they take up a lot of space...

I have the DeWalt 773. I'm certain that I would have been happy with the performance and build of the Bosch but the thing that swayed me was that I only have a narrow workshop and saving or making space is important. So, not having the bars sticking out the back of the saw and being able to push the saw trolley closer to the wall saves me around 200mm or more. Also, the shadow line is accurate for the majority of cuts I make.

That’s what attracted me to the 774 so it could be against the wall. I doubt they’ll be much in it performance wise so may go with the dewalt as I think I’d be happier with the additional room at from of bench.

Maybe also consider maximum cut and blade size also? Of the three you mention the Bosch 8 and Dewalt are both 216mm blade size. The Metabo is larger at 254mm. The big Bosch GCM 12 GDL with the two Z arms is 305mm.

A 12" mitre saw is so much more versatile as you can cut a lot of mitres vertically. I have a sliding Milwaukee but it has to stick out about 50 cm from the wall and I still can't get behind it to tidy up. Next time I would make a free standing saw bench with 360 degree access.

I have the Dewalt DWS 774 and can confirm it is a very compact and portable machine. However I have never had and confidence in the angle gauge.
I installed a loft hatch recently and could not for the life of me get the mitres on the architrave to work. I ended up cutting them by hand. I have spent a fair bit of time setting the adjustments and have not been able to make it work.
More recently I made a picture frame and again ended up finishing them by hand because the chop saw wouldn’t do it.
I would have expected the distance from 45deg to the left and 45deg to the right to equal 90deg. For some reason it doesn’t.
Any thoughts?

Just to update this I went for the metabo 254M the bigger blade swayed it for me in the end.
thanks for your responses.
Now just need to get started on my workshop once I finish our new garden style room for the rabbits.

when you make the bench that the mitre saw will sit on, drop the height of the bench where the mitre saw will be so that its table surface is level with the benches either side, that way longer pieces of wood will be supported on the bench and not just the table of the saw.
I also bought two metal rulers (cheap from poundland I think) , then glued them into routed grooves either side. They are accurately placed and cut to give measurements from the blade. You can just see one by the tea mug!
1622016701318.png

I have the DeWalt DW 718XPS which is very good, but difficult to catch all the dust and it's big, but substantial and really sturdy. I have had it for years and it is still very accurate. I'm sure I would have been happy with the Bosch as well reading the comments on this forum. I would also look at the new Triton compact mitre saw. It's an innovative design, but I don't class Triton tools as good as Bosch/Dewalt long term

Latest posts

Back