Mitre Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been using an Evolution sliding mitre saw for about 4 years - I'm probably described as prolific maker of wood stuff - performed perfectly. Original blade was fine, I have a couple of others with different teeth counts for different materials. Mine is mounted with the saw bed level and between 2 benches to accommodate long material. Downsides: the dust extraction like most mitre saws isn't brilliant (mine has box shrouding it) and the laser guide needs to be checked carefully for alignment from time to time. Pretty good value - Screwfix usually the cheapest.
Is it worth getting the Evolution multipurpose blade resharpened?
I don't use mine very often but the blade is a bit dull.

It depends on budget and how much time you plan to use it.
For budget the Evolutions is probably a good way to go, - they get good reviews. I wish I had known a few things before I bought my very useful Matabo. Its such a useful tool that you might want to invest in a top end Maketa or bosh or DW.
Key things to consider:
1. good dust ports and extraction - the more expensive makes do this much better
2. Ease to set up and use accurately, tilt etc
3. accuracy - if you plan to use if for fine stuff or just rough work? personally this is a must
4. noise - use ear muffs or buy a quiet one
5. size 10" covers most things and at reasonable budget and easy to use, too big is costly and you may not need to do many deep cuts, but if you do get the expensive 12 inch.

I prefer to use hand tools if possible but I've found a few machine tools just so versatile and the mitre saw is one of them, accurate, easy to use, relatively safe. I bought a Matabo on a whim in the locals builders merchant and I cant compline about its accuracy, robustness and longevity (10 to 15 years old). It replaced a very old Dewalt radial arm - 40 years old). With hind sight I wish I had spent more time on research and spent a bit more money.
I use it a lot more than I like to think. It does not have good dust extraction and I've spent a lot of time fitting a new port and plastic guides. Its was a major source of stray dust.
I had to build in measures etc and I have to use ear muffs and for deep cuss have to be done by hand.
Oh the multiblade, you can buy good aftermarket blades very affordably, I'm on my 2nd and I have one dedicated to aluminium and rough stuff (different rake etc), and one for fine wood with 60 teeth. If you are dioin lots of rough work fast then you may want another blade. Good ones from reputable makes are not that pricy.
Good luck

Last edited:
Just a (probably irrelevant) comment, but I seem to remember that Evolution mitre saws run quite a bit slower than others? Is the slower speed a disadvantage? I think they also have an American/Imperial arbor size - does that limit blade availability?
I have a small evolution slider for lugging around (but am lucky enough to also have several other mitre saws including Festools.) I borrowed a friends big Evolution slider this week (mine are on the wrong side of the Brexit/Covid divide) and found it satisfactory for fitting flooring and skirtings, but wouldn't want to make furniture with it - though might be being unfair. The dust collection on any of my mitre saws other than the Kapexes is useless.

Dare I mention the centre isle of Lidl? Saw Parkside mitre saws today £99…was tempted but resisted. Would be interested to see quality.

Is there any brands that offer the multipurpose bland that evolution has? Because that is kind of a necessity.

Back